Wilcox Crittendon Parts

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jneely

Wilcox Crittendon Parts

Post by jneely »

I took apart a Wilcox-Crittendon seacock on my CD 27 to service it and noticed that the washer on the opposite end from the handle was very pitted and that the notch on this washer had become so worn that there was quite a bit of slop in it. It did not have that tight fit that all the other seacocks on the boat still have. Is there a source out there for Wilcox-Crittendon parts? I would like to replace this washer and possibly the barrel. The rest of the seacock seems to be in fine shape, so I don't want to go to through the hassle of replacing the whole seacock.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Last I heard W/C was out of the seacock business. I wanted an exact replacement for mine a few years ago and was unable to find one. I had a machinist friend of mine do some work on it and extend its life.

If you find a source let us all know.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Bill Goldsmith

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Replacing just the barrel can be problematic. After time, the barrel seats to the body. A brand new barrel may not seat well at all to an old body. At a minimum you'd have to lap the two together to get a good seal. It might work fine, but then again it could be frustrating and drippy. I spoke to the Spartan folks a while back about this--they will not sell just a barrel or just a body because the UL designation is dependent on selling the two as one unit. (Some might say they'd rather just sell a whole new seacock, but I'm not that suspicious or cynical).

What's wrong with the barrel? Will a good lapping take care of it? As Boyd suggests, perhaps a good machinist or metallurgist could fix up the old washer or make a new one for you.