Coolant Leak (I think)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barleycopse
"Loon"

Coolant Leak (I think)

Post by barleycopse »

We are getting our CD 31 ready for launching. It was purchased last November and after two years of being on land, she needed a bit of work.

About three weeks ago, we spent 4 days cleaning her interior and doing other needed work. We returned to her this past week end to finish up and we found about a cup of greenish yellow fluid in the drip pan formed by the engine beds. I assume that this is antifreeze, but I could not, by feeling around under the engine with a paper towel, find the source. The engine is the original Universal 25.

What are the possible causes of such a leak?

Thanks for all your input.

Cheers,
Don
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Don... you need to check the various hoses that deal with the coolant. There is obviously a leak from one of them and it may just need some tightening of the clamp, but youmust find out which one is the culprit.
Check the expansion tank (maybe in one of your cocckpit locker. You may have two hoses leaving from there and going a) to the heat exchanger and 2) to the engine itself. Follow them.

Also leaving from the heat exchanger is another hose that carries coolant directly to the freshwater pump. Check those clamps. The aft end of the manifold has a gasket that may be leaking and need replacing.

If the leak ocurred when the engine was not running, then it must be a loose clamp, since there was no pressure in the engine itself. Check and replace whatever clamp or hose is in bad shape. Hope that is the extent of the problem. BTW, is your engine a Universal #5424 Model 30? That is the same :!: engine I have on my CD-33.
Zeida
CDSOA Member