banging noise in the mast

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

robert brown
Beverly, Ma.

banging noise in the mast

Post by robert brown »

In a TY, more down wind, but pretty regular. is it just the halyards or something else. all is tight...but..

Anyway great sail today, some intermitten rain, but then all the sun shine.

All the big sail boats went in.. go figure.. Manchester houses some very nice boats

Bob-out
Dick Barthel

Post by Dick Barthel »

Robert,

Maybe you hear it downwind because it tends to be a quieter point of sail. I had a noisy VHF antennae wire that was rapping like a halyard against the inside of the mast. It was particularly annoying at the mooring. My solution was 3/8" pipe insulation. I'm not sure if Typhoon's have internal wires.

Dick Barthel
dinghy@mc.net

clanging wires

Post by dinghy@mc.net »

Some Cape Dory masts have a track inside the mast for special sailslides to tie the wires to and keep them quiet. I believe I purchased the slides from Sail Rite. Good Luck.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

wire ties

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I had a terrible case of "internal mast wire slap". Drove me crazy especially when it happened at anchor overnight when everyone was trying to sleep. A very simple and inexpensive answer is to use wire ties. I had my yard do it since I didn't have the time.
You get plastic wire ties. And every few feet you put a group of 3 around the wire bundle so that the long "tails" of these ties are at about 120 degrees (or so) from each other. That covers the entire 360 degrees. You then feed the wires back up the mast. The pressure from those stiff wire tie tails keeps your wire bundle in the center of the mast and, if you don't make each group of ties too far apart, will leave no slack in the wire bundle to slap against the inside of the mast. Going on two years now for me and I don't hear a peep from those wires. By the way, this technique has been described and used for quite a while. Its nothing new but it sure is effective and you don't have to go crazy trying to feed slides into tracks or push pipes up the mast. FWIW :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)