The Typhoon Survives

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tim Mertinooke

Downhaul

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

Robert, the previous owner attached a downhaul to hold the boom up. I would recommend a downhaul to anyone that owns a Ty because it is handy and can be used as an emergency halyard. Redundancy is key for a seaworthy boat in my humble opinion. One of the main reasons I decided to replace the Standing rigging this year other than the fact that it is original 1982 stock is that there is a small crimp in the backstay where a wire was clamped on. I don't know why anyone would do that, but most Ty's that I have seen have that setup to hold the boom up. The second you crimp the backstay by clamping the wire on you weaken it. I had a few knowledgable people look at it and they recommended replacement. When I tune the rigging you are not able to see it, but when it is not under tension it is noticable. My piece of mind will improve when everything is new.

Winthrop thanks again for all of your help and advice, I really appreciate it.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

At Marina Bay, Quincy MA a boat that came loose from one of the Boston harbor Islands came over the seawall at high tide the night before last and acted like a pinball in the outer lane (J dock) of the marina.

Neil can tell you more about it although he said he slept through the actual commotion. I haven't heard yet how many boats were actually involved but I'm sure there will be lots of insurance calls.

The run-away boat didn't sink and is now tied up in the dock. I suppose it is considered salvage? How does that work these days anyway? Does the owner get it back or is it considered the property of whoever secured it again?
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

A few lessons learned from this nor'easter

Post by Roy J. »

Thanks for the Ty photos. I spent about an hour yesterday evening and another this morning early on a hill watching Auburn ride the swells and wind in Salem harbor. I had similar feelings to when I watch my son Alex do something necessary but dangerous. My heart was a little in my throat, and there wan't anything I could do, except thank goodness Auburn wasn't the one on her side a the foot of the harbor waiting for the next high tide to bring her right onto the shore.

This string and my own experience have brought up a couple of obvious and consequently basic things for us to remember since we care for our boats so much. Almost every boat that gets in trouble in this kind of a storm does so, not because of design flaws, but mainly because of some kind of material failure -- parting mooring pennants, poorly bedded/backed up cleats ripping off decks, rusted ground tackle, weak or unwired shackles giving way, etc etc. And sometimes it isn't even your gear that fails. The big Searay (or Catalina, or you name the villain) upwind of you is owned by someone who only visits the boat once a season and never services their mooring/ground tackle/you name it. Something of theirs gives way and they take you down with them.

This leads me to remind myself that every time I leave the boat it should be ready to sustain this kind of blow, even though I live 5 minutes from the dock. We just launched last thursday, and as the launch pulled away at the end of a long day in which we got everything rigged for sailing, I saw that I had left the genny rolled with the clew facing forward, and I was maybe a little uncertain about how securely the sheets were wrapped around it. I didn't go back, because I figured I could get out there if really bad weather was predicted, and that nor'easters aren't too likely in springtime anyway. Lives are busy so between swim meets and work I never got back out there and for the duration of this blow I have been concerned -- is Auburn going to be the one in the harbor with its genoa unfurled by, and luffing wildly in 50 mph gusts? Thankfully not so far, and you can bet I won't leave the boat with those little concerns nibbling the back of my mind again. Anyway this is a really long way of saying check, double check, and invest in rode, ground tackle, mooring and chafing gear. It would be a real shame to lose a boat for failure to secure it properly.

Then, make friends with the people around you. Your boat is only as secure as their ground tackle/mooring pennant/anchor and rode, too.

I really would prefer to be planning a memorial day weekend cruise. I hope this rant is in some way as useful to you as it is cathartic for me.

Fair winds to you all and here's hoping that maybe the sun will shine some time in the northeast this summer.
Roy Jacobowitz
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I only know some of the details. The boat that broke loose is moored at Thompson Island as part of the Outward Bound program. It went downwind on its own the length of Dorchester Bay, crossed the breakwater, capsized (the floorboards and pfd's are everywhere) but ended up floating with its masts intact.

As for salvage, I think the marina will just return the boat to Outward Bound.

The nor'easter was pretty amazing once the tide overtook the breakwater. All the driftwood and debris that accumulated on the other side is now on this side <s>. Good salvage so far and more from the dinghy if I can get out tomorrow. I have a pretty good collection of fenders, two coleman coolers and a dockbox, already.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
bobdugan

Re: A few lessons learned from this nor'easter

Post by bobdugan »

Roy J. wrote:Thanks for the Ty photos. I spent about an hour yesterday evening and another this morning early on a hill watching Auburn ride the swells and wind in Salem harbor..
Hey Roy,

Great post!

Becky and I are heading up to check on Cricket tomorrow morning. We'll make sure we say "hi" to Auburn as well.

How big do you think the waves were in Salem Harbor? We kept checking the buoy off Gloucester at:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php? ... wvht&uom=E

But the harbor is more protected.

Bob
Bob Dugan - Assistant Webmaster
Pacific Seacraft 34: Emerald || CD 25D: Cricket (former owner)
Jubilee Yacht Club Beverly, MA in the Spring/Fall and Bustins Island, ME in the Summer
robert brown
Beverly, Ma.

beverly/salem waves

Post by robert brown »

I have a great picture of the kids surfing the waves right in front of my boat at West Beach. Ended up Pic of the Day.

http://www.townonline.com/blogs/yourTownTonite/

scroll down to Picture of the day

not to computer savy, i will enlist help to post the pic direct

[/img]
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Not too bad in Salem harbor

Post by Roy J. »

Thanks Bob. I watched waves no bigger than 2-3 feet in Salem harbor, if that. Since I am down below the Rockmore, my mooring is pretty protected. Out by Cricket the waves were probably bigger. Auburn's bow was plunging around, but never submerged. Of more concern were the gusts that had her swinging through 45-60 degrees around the mooring.

the sky is now a "whiter shade of pale", and I hope to sail on Monday. We'll see.

Roy
Roy Jacobowitz
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

PALER SHADE OF WHITE

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Roy and all,

It's driving me sane (sic) trying to remember who did Paler Shade of White. Moody Blues, maybe? Anybody 40 years of age or older remember who?

That song has been around as long as your Cape Dory has been.

Humming along in partly cloudy Oswego
Camelot on the lake
Where it rains between 1:00AM and 6:00AM on weekday mornings only.

O J
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

I think you mean "A whiter shade of pale" and that was Procol Harum
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

A WHITER SHADE OF PALE

Post by Oswego John »

Hey Marianna,

Bingo, Procol Harum of course. I can't say "You da Man". I guess I have to say "You da Lady".

Hmmm, things must be getting out of hand. I knew what Roy was saying but I couldn't even copy it without messing it up.

Till next time
O J
Everyone have a great weekend
Get that CD in the water.
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

We're going sailing!!! I'll take photos although it is hard to get a good boat shot when you are on it!

Have a great weekend everyone.
ray b

Post by ray b »

:wink:
hope you were joking about salvage

feds have alot of rules about that
law books full but the very short version is
main idea is you must risk your life and limb to save people and/or property to claim salvage
simply tieing up a boat does not qualify
nor does towing one

and even if you do save a boat from distruction
you do not just get the boat
you must go thru aldmiltry courts to be awarded your prize
anywhere from 5% to 100% of the boats/ships value

and never ever trust a mooring you didnot set yourself
even then
allways drop a anchor, just in case
cheap insurance is better then being sorry