Pulling a CD 25 with Toyota 4 Runner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s calder

Pulling a CD 25 with Toyota 4 Runner

Post by s calder »

Has anybody tried pulling a trailered 25 behind a Toyota 4-runner? :oops:
S. Calder sv Falcon
ray b

no but

Post by ray b »

I have moved a 25 with a 4 banger volvo
wouldnot want to go far or fast or up a long grade
but short trip at lower speeds on level roads should work fine
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Pulling a CD 25 with Toyota 4 Runner

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi... i pulled 5000 pounds across country with a v6, you should be fine with a v8......winthrop

s calder wrote:Has anybody tried pulling a trailered 25 behind a Toyota 4-runner? :oops:
gsd46

Pull mine with my lawn tracto

Post by gsd46 »

I pull our CD 25 around our yard with the 17 hp lawn tractor.
Vern Campbell

Post by Vern Campbell »

I use a Jeep Cherokee Sport with a 4.0 liter V6 to tow my CD25 on its trailer to launch and retrieve it every year. It was about 15 miles from my house to the marina where I was launching it, and the Jeep did fine. I do have the towing package with tranny cooler, etc. For the last two years I have been launching and retrieving it myself at the local boat "ramp" (hard packed gravel transitioning to a stony beach) which is only about a mile down the bay from my house. The Jeep does a surprisingly good job in this regard, too. No problems pulling at all. I imagine that the Jeep and the 4Runner would be roughly comparable in weight and power. I should mention that I have functioning electric brakes on the trailer. Without them I would be more concerned about stopping than I would be about pulling. :)
T Vanco

Pulling CD25 w/ Toyo 4 Runner

Post by T Vanco »

Look in your owners manual, it will tell you how many pounds the 4 Runner can haul and tow. If you have the V6 it should be able to handle a tow, BUT you still need to know what the rated towing capacity is for your Toyo. The Tacoma and 4 Runner are both rather light in the leaf spring department which mean it is going to squat when you hook up the trailer to it. If you are going to be hauling a lot you really need to put a set of air shocks on it. This will make a world of difference on how it handles.

Now comes the real concern. You live in CO on Lake Grandby. That's a big problem for you if you are going any where other than a couple of miles. As you already know you have a mountain or two in your back yard with LONG, STEEP, grades, so throw out all the above. If you are traveling in Nebraska you should do fine, but if you are going to be traveling around CO you may want to look for a Tundra or Sequoia with a V8. They will haul the 25 without skipping a beat. You have seen those semis going down CO's 'hills' with smoke pouring out of their wheelwells on one side and then crawling up the other side at 20 miles an hour. Right? Case closed.
s calder

towing a 25 with a 4Runner

Post by s calder »

Thanks everybody for the info...very useful. I will limit any tow to the local lake about 8 miles away with no hills to speak of and save the mountain passes for a yacht mover.
S. Calder sv Falcon