Typhoon locker and bilge paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

MikeG

Typhoon locker and bilge paint

Post by MikeG »

I have a typhoon that water at sometime filled up the bilge, side lockers and front storage locker in the bow. The water was about one foot deep in the front storage area. The water has cause some of the paint to flake off so I can see the white fiberglass. What type of paint is used for this area of the boat? The existing paint is not shinny it is a dull, light blue. Anyone ever painted this area?

Mike
Mike G
Tod Mills

Interlux Bilgekote

Post by Tod Mills »

.....is one brand of paint especially intended for bilge-type areas. I'm sure other manufacturers make similar products. Generally they are oil and mildew resistant...

Don't know what CD used.......

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/xr ... gekote.asp
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Steve Laume

Rustolium

Post by Steve Laume »

I am useing Bildgecoat on our CD-30 but I believe it only comes in two colors. There is grey and white. Cape Dory used a kind of pink I am not trying to match. I figured a boat with an inboard might benifit from a paint formulated for oil resistance. In the Typhoon I went cheap and easy. Rustolium Harbor Blue is a pretty good match. It is not stocked in most stores so you may have to order it in. Rustolium comes in satin, gloss and flat. I believe I wound up with gloss which didn't appear too shiny because most of the surfaces are so rough. Satin would be the closest to original. It really brightened things up in there and held up very well for the two years that we sailed the boat. One of those very small form rollers works great for getting into any place you could possibly see but will have a hard time painting. Don't forget the canister mask as you intomb yourself in those tight spots full of vapors, Steve.
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Rustoleum

Post by Kurt »

I bought a quart of Rustoleum Flat White and mixed in some Leather Brown (left over from my bootstripe) and a little red. I ended up with a fair match to the original Cape Dory paint. Adding gloss paints to tint the flat white gave me a semi-gloss that looks good.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Typhoon locker and bilge paint

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi.... bilgecoat is in red, white, lite blue by interlux about $30 a can, is more then you need.. make sure you sand and prime it and put two coats on.... thats it.... winthrop

MikeG wrote:I have a typhoon that water at sometime filled up the bilge, side lockers and front storage locker in the bow. The water was about one foot deep in the front storage area. The water has cause some of the paint to flake off so I can see the white fiberglass. What type of paint is used for this area of the boat? The existing paint is not shinny it is a dull, light blue. Anyone ever painted this area?

Mike