cabin top winch backing plates

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

craig

cabin top winch backing plates

Post by craig »

I've come to the board seems like WM, Defender and Harkin do not sell the round aluminum backing plates for winches. Does anyone know where I can purchase these.
cd30
Molly Dooker
Didereaux

local welding/machine shop

Post by Didereaux »

I had to make mine as well, I used 1/4" aluminum plate then cut the shapes with a normal hand held saber saw. I had to ask around a couple of welding/machine shops in the area to find out where to get the plate. It turns out to be readily available.
g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Rollergirl

Readily available here

Post by Rollergirl »

www.mcmaster.com
Go to Raw Materials and Springs/Metals/Aluminum
Pick your preference. Small sizes/small quantities OK. You'll need this:http://www.tef-gel.com/ for the SS/Aluminum interface.

Zeke at Ensign Spars (The new Ensign builder) embeds the plates as a core replacement and taps for hardware mounting. Works well. No nuts inside the cabin (you and your crew excluded).

I took another route. This is similar: Garolite G 10
UL Rating UL 94V0
MIL Specification MIL-I-24768
Shape Sheets, Bars, Strips, and Cubes
Material Garolite
Garolite Material Grade G-10/FR4 Garolite
Highest Operating Temperature +201° to +300° F
Performance Characteristic High Tensile Strength
Check under plastics. No corosion problems

Good Luck
Bill

PS: Noticed Spellcheck flagged "Alberg", but had no suggestions for a substitute. I think that that is altogether fitting and proper.
And please, no offence offered to Philip Rhodes
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thank you Did and Bill for the help I ordered a 12x12x1/4 inch marine grade alum today from Mcmaster.
This rain day after day is getting to me :(