Advice on how to transport a Typhoon from Chicago to Seattle

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Richard G Rawlins

Advice on how to transport a Typhoon from Chicago to Seattle

Post by Richard G Rawlins »

Hi.

I'm new to the board. Tried to post this message yesterday. Will try again.

I have a CD Typhoon that I want to move from Chicago to Vancouver Canada via Seattle. The trailer is in good shape as is the boat. Has anyone made such a long haul with a CD trailer or would it be safer to use a freight shipper instead? Any advice would be appreciated. thank you.

rg rawlins
RG Rawlins
Tim Mertinooke

humble advice

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

When I purchased my Ty about a year ago a new trailer came with the package. The trip home was about 6 hours. I benefitted from having a trailer with no miles on it because my mind was at ease the whole ride. If your trailer is not brand new, I would do regular preventative trailer maintenance like repacking the bearings, replacing the races, Making sure the tires that are on the trailer now are relatively new with plenty of tread, and that you have at least one spare. I would also try taking all of the lug nuts off and greasing them before putting them back on before you hit the road. It would be pretty exciting to try taking off that last lugnut that doesn't want to budge on the side of route 90 at night. Once you are satisfied that the trailer is roadworthy be sure to secure the boat properly including the mast. I can't tell you the number of boats I have seen going down the road with the end of their mast flailing in the wind (can you say metal fatigue). If you have not done any trailer maintenance yourself I would have a professional look at it. A good trailer can go forever with proper maintenance. Good Luck! Tim
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Richard G Rawlins

typhoon transport

thanks Tim. Will do.

rgr
RG Rawlins
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Advice on how to transport a Typhoon from Chicago to Sea

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi.... i have taken mine all over the u.s. just fine. you will be fine....winthrop

Richard G Rawlins wrote:Hi.

I'm new to the board. Tried to post this message yesterday. Will try again.

I have a CD Typhoon that I want to move from Chicago to Vancouver Canada via Seattle. The trailer is in good shape as is the boat. Has anyone made such a long haul with a CD trailer or would it be safer to use a freight shipper instead? Any advice would be appreciated. thank you.

rg rawlins
Richard G Rawlins

Typhoon transport

Thank you Winthrop

rgr
RG Rawlins
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

I can not say enough to check the wheel bearings and have spares and spare grease. Carry tools! Tie the mast to the supports and then tie it again to the boat. When I brought my typhoon home (1100 mile trip) I tied the boat to the trailer by using ratchet straps on winches one going fore and one aft. The boat did move a little forward because it did not have a bow post. I also had to tie the bow down. Carry spare wheels and tires. I As towing any boat whether it is a short distance or long proper prep is necessary. Tape the cockpit hatches closed! Maybe I am overly cautious but again I have never had a trailer problem in 30 years.
Mike
Mike G
MarkD
Seattle, WA

Minneapolis to Seattle

Post by MarkD »

Hi Richard,

Last fall I put a trailer hitch on my 4Runner and headed back to Minneapolis to collect my first sailboat. Based on all the good advice offered in earlier postings, I can see now how ill-prepared I was for the trip. However, I was fortunate, and ended up back here in Seattle with everything intact.

The photo below was taken somewhere in Montana, I believe. I took short naps at rest stops, and ate and gassed up with the truckers. One of the little pleasures that I enjoyed were the periodic stops at Starbucks along the way. I had a headset on my cell phone, and would call my wife and tell her what town I was approaching. She would then get the addresses of the local Starbucks stores, then get driving directions from MapQuest and guide me in to the closest one. Worked beautifully.

[img]http://mysite.verizon.net/UnderSail/Ima ... heRoad.jpg[/img]

Anyway, I really just wanted to say Hi, and to wish you the best on your trip. I had a lot of fun and would head out again on a trip like this again in a minute. I’m still working on my Ty and trailer and haven’t even decided on a name yet. However, I plan to have her named and in the water some time in June.
Mark Dussell
cd22-81

Puget Sound Typhoon

Post by cd22-81 »

Mark- I will be up in Seattle in August. My Typhoon, Puffin, is waiting patiently on her trailer in the drive-way at the beach house near Redondo, south of Des Moines. She ususally sits on a buoy when I'm there - sort of 'classes up' the neighborhood. Try drop me an e-mail at Jsulliva@ado.co.santa-clara.ca.us. Maybe we can hook up at Blake Island or cruise around Vashon or something. It would be a great photo op. -John

Post by Guest »

Hi Mark

Well, that photo was very reassuring. Thanks a lot. Any suggestions on what route to take from MN west? Did you hit any nasty spots that should be avoided? thank you.

richard
MarkD
Seattle, WA

Chicago to Seattle route

Post by MarkD »

Richard,
I took I90 from Seattle to Billings, Montana, where I switched to I94, which looked like a more direct route to Minneapolis. However, if I were to do it again, I would stay on I90 all the way. There will always be construction going on somewhere, but I ran into more if it on I94, and there were sections of I94 that were more country road than major highway.

Also, I would try to travel more during the day if your schedule permits. I drove pretty much day and night with short breaks. However, while driving at night out in "flyover country", I saw a lot of deer, racoons, and other critters just off/on the side of the road, and if any of these guys had been in my lane there would have been little that I could have done to try to avoid hitting them.

The other thing that was worse at night were the areas of construction, where the road was torn up with little warning sometimes, and with limited visibility. I hit a stretch at night one time on I94 that was torn up pretty badly and thought I was going to bounce the boat off the trailer. Although the boat was tied down, I swear I got several inches of air between the bunks and the hull one time. On top of this, when you slow down in construction areas which are often limited to a single lane and which go on for many miles, you tend to build up a long line of cars behind you, which I would rather avoid. During the day I was able to cruise along at highway speeds for the most part.

Hope this doesn't scare you off. There were really very few of these incidents, but worth considering.
Mark Dussell
Richard G Rawlins

Typhoon from Chicago to Seattle

Thanks Mark for the kind advice on routing.

richard
RG Rawlins