Pump Out, why no vent noise?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Pete

Pump Out, why no vent noise?

Post by Pete »

Last week I pumped out my CD31 holding tank. :roll: All went fine, except that I would have expected to hear the vent line sucking in air. First question, should I have expected to hear anything? Is this an indication that the line is clogged?

Thank you,

Pete
Russell Skinner

That sucking sound

Post by Russell Skinner »

I'd bet it's clogged, salt spray gets up in there and does it's magic. However, the sound is subtle and if there is a lot on background noise you might hear it. In my experience, a pipe cleaner does the trick, but this is best done from the inside. At least on my 30.
Pete

Thanks...

Post by Pete »

I will pull the hose off and see what I can clean out. There was a post from Ken C. suggesting replacement of the brass fitting with a mushroom type end, to help keep bugs out? Have you considered changing out the through hull fitting?

Pete
Russell Skinner

Fitting

Post by Russell Skinner »

I figure it's a five minute job (once I get my fat-old body in position) so if it ain't completely broke don't fix it.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

If the vent line is clogged (or punctured) the pumpout will not "yield" the desired results.
Take my word for it.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where the sound of one hand clapping indicates nothing) MD

Holding Tank Vent Plugged?

Post by Guest »

If the holding tank vent is plugged, you would also notice when pumping the head. Pressure would build up in the holding tank and the toilet would spit water back up the bowl when you stopped pumping. I had this problem on my new-to-me CD36. Vent thru-hole fitting was completed corroded shut. Replaced the fitting (with the help of my 9 year son crawling into the aft lazarette!) and all is working well. Was able to purchase original thru-hole fitting from Spartan.

Doug Gibson
1987 CD 36 #147 Sailfish