Chemical treatment for head waste without added fragrance

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Marianna Max

Chemical treatment for head waste without added fragrance

Post by Marianna Max »

Does anyone know of a product to chemically treat tank waste from the head that doesn't contain added masking fragrance? I'm allergic to perfumes and would like to find something to replace what is currently used.
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

The bacterial agents have no odor. We have used ODORLOS, I think that is the spelling, and I believe there are others out there. It is important that you not kill the bacteria though. One year I didn't flush the antifreeze from the holding tank and the agent didn't work. Oils in the system are thought to suffocate the bacteria too.
David VanDenburgh
CD 36, #7
Lake Michigan

Some alternatives to chemical deodorants

Post by David VanDenburgh »

Marianna,

Consider these:

Enzyme treatments accelerate the digestion of organic materials in waste and neutralize odors at the same time. Their toxicity is extremely low. They work quickly and completely emulsify paper and sewage. They must be added regularly and they have a limited range of effectiveness in terms of temperature and pH. Enzymes require a tank free from residuals of other treatment products.

Nitrate treatments provide an interesting alternative. Oxygen is vital to bacteria in the process of breaking down organic waste. When little air is present, as in most holding tanks, bacteria derives the oxygen from sulfates in the waste, which produces hydrogen sulfide (stinky!) gas. When nitrates are introduced, they act as nutrients for the bacteria, providing an alternative source of oxygen, which results in the production of nitrogen (odorless) gas. Nitrates are environmentally friendly. They speed up the breakdown process and eliminate odors. They require a tank free of the residuals from other products. They are expensive relative to other treatments.

Bioactive treatments contain live aerobic bacteria, which break down waste, reproduce and crowd out anaerobic (odor-producing) bacteria. They, too, are environmentally friendly. Like enzymes, bioactive treatments emulsify paper and sewage completely. Unlike other treatments, they multiply and continue to work long after treatment is complete, eliminating the need to add more between pump outs. However, the microbes require a well-ventilated holding tank to survive. The tank must be free of residuals. Although initially expensive, bioactive treatments become more cost effective over time because of bacteria propagation
David VanDenburgh (the elder)
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

Thank you both. Can one add something that releases oxygen into the tank or in some other way helps the aerobic bacteria?
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

One way to get oxygen into the tank is by a generous vent and assuring that the screen is kept clear.
Glen

waste management

Post by Glen »

Check the following link...look at the last post in the thread by Peggy Hall (she is well known as an expert on marine waste management). Web searches on her name will provide you with quite a bit of info on this topic.

http://www.harrispublishing.com/fusetal ... TARTPAGE=1
Marianna Max

Post by Marianna Max »

He (boat owner) got the nitrate treatment stuff at west marine just now and we'll give it a try. I'm sure he'll let you all know how it works. He said he was going to flush the head tanks really well with sea water first and then fresh before charging it. Here's to a smell free sailing experience for me <g>