URGENT! UNIVERSAL DIESEL MODEL 30 #5424 ON CD-33

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Hi, all... the above engine on my CD-33 needs a new Gear Case Cover. The existing one has corroded and is leaking oil. When removing the case to replace the gasket, we saw the real reason for the leak. I contacted the Universal/Westerbeke dealer here in Miami, FL. and they tell me the part is no longer available and discontinued. Now my engine (and boat) is useless unless I can find a replacement cover or try welding the aluminum cover. If anyone has any suggestions, we will be eternally grateful. By the way, the part, when available, was listed at over $1K. I dread the thought of what it would cost to replace the entire engine.

Zeida & Bandolera II
Zeida
joeb

Weld the case

Post by joeb »

Welding is a viable option or else making a patch out of same metal
and securing it to case with threaded bolts and gasket material?
Let me know what you think. Are you in Florida?
barfwinkle

AlumaWeld

Post by barfwinkle »

Hi Zeida

I was just wondering (and I certainly dont know the answer) but would AlumaWeld or some other "liquid Steel" type product work? Maybe someone on the board can offer some insight on this? You might also try <a href="http://www.aluminumrepair.com/aluminum_ ... umaWeld</a>. I just found the website and have no idea as to the pros/cons of the product.

FW
Bill Member #250.
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

welding case

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Hey Zeida,

I would suggest finding a good machine shop and take the cover to them and have them effect a repair.

Nothing beats a skilled welder/metal worker to effect a lasting repair.

BTW, I am replacing my engine on LaVida and its $$$$$expensive$$$$$$, but I figure the joy of a new engine will far out weigh the cost in the long run.

Best of Luck,
Mike
s.v.LaVida
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

To all of you who answered my call for HELP, a million thanks. We are definitely going the welding route.

Yves Feder, I immediately started looking and found the right place to go to: it's called "Rodriguez Welding" , located by the Miami River, doing work mostly for ships and engines, also recommended by one very helpful salesperson from R.B.Grove, the Universal/Westerbeke local distributor, from whom I buy all my engine parts.

This machine shop specializes on aluminum welding and the two owners (two older fellows) are very familiar with the Universal engine. They took the cover, looked it over and said: no problem, we can fix this, we are very familiar with this type of welding and we will guarantee our work... come tomorrow after lunch to pick it up!

So in just one day, Goldie will have her gear case cover in full working order again. I am so relieved. My mechanic and I plan to put everything back together this coming Saturday. In the meantime Goldie must think she is having open heart surgery. Hopefully, she can last several more years. Right now she will also get a new gear case gasket, new oil seal, all new o-rings, new gaskets wherever there was one, new bolts -you should see the condition the current bolts were in- as a matter of fact, when taking the case cover out, one of them broke and it took us five hours to remove the cover! My engine now also has a new damper plate, new motor mounts, and that little engine has never failed to start, so I plan to keep it for as long as possible.

:D
Zeida
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

By the way, if anybody else is repowering and getting rid of their older Universal Diesels Model 30 #5424, I will gladly buy the gear case cover and pay for the shhipping charge to Miami. Thanks. :idea:
Zeida
Bill Goldsmith

Is tractor version still available?

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Zeida,

According to the following post on the Aloha owners' association website, the Universal 5424 is the same base engine as the Kubota DH1101. I looked at a couple of Kubota tractor websites, and the DH1101 appears to be currently supplied on recent tractor models. Perhaps that gear case cover is still being produced as a replacement part for the tractor version of the engine. It may be worth an inquiry to a Kubota dealer. My guess is that the tractor part is going to be much less pricey. http://www.alohaowners.com/pages/projec ... cement.htm

Bill
joeb

google the phrase problems with welding aluminum

Post by joeb »

no message
Tom

Upgrade for gearcase

Post by Tom »

Zeida,

Something you might want to look into is an upgrade for the gear case. Apparently there is a design problem with the gear case because the alternator bracket attaches to it and puts strain on it and causes it to crack. On my model 25 the gear case has been cracked for 15 years. I cleaned it well and put marine tex on it years ago, but it still weeps oil a little bit and keeps my bilge oily. I hesitated to put on a new one because I figured the alternator vibration would just crack the new one and they're not easy to get to remove.

John Nuttall in Oriental found an upgrade somewhere for the model 25 that hangs the alternator bracket in some other way so that the alternator doesn't hang on the gear cover. Fairly expensive as I remember in the several hundred dollar range, but then what isn't on a boat? I haven't seen him on the board since we switched over and his boat was up for sale, but one of the Oriental, N.C. area guys might be able to run him down if he's not in the phone book and you're interested. I'm not sure they made an upgrade for the 5424 also but they probably did.
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

Tom, it took us five hours just to remove the cover, it was quite an ordeal and of course, the bottom bolt, the one hardest to reach, was frozen and broke off, the old gasket with permatex made it almost impossible to separate the cover from the rest of the engine so you can imagine what it took to remove that cover.

They quoted me a price of $1200. for a new cover, and then told me they are no longer available and discontinued! But that was only the Miami Westerbeke/Universal dealer. I will be checking every other possible source to see if I can track down a new, even if used, cover.

I think there has been a post by John Nuttal in this board, so I will look it up. My alternator bracket is also bolted to the cover, but so far, mine is not cracked. it was only badly corroded on the very bottom, where there was a pea-size hole. The flat edge where the gasket sits, was almost non-existant along the bottom area, but as of today, I got the cover back from the machine shop where they welded (filled) the area and made the edge even with the rest. It looks weird, but it sure is strong. If this weld holds as it should, then probably the cover will go right back up on Saturday. What a job this has been. Of course, we also replaced the oil seal, the o-rings and the other gaskets as needed. Hope this works. :roll:
Zeida