ICW condition, Norfolk to Oriental?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Michne

ICW condition, Norfolk to Oriental?

Post by Bill Michne »

We will be bringing Minataka down the ICW in a couple of weeks. We plan to use the Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal route, not the Dismal Swamp. Our concern is shoaling, as the boat draws 5'8". Does anyone know, or can tell me how to find out, if that is going to be a problem? Thanks.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

ICW conditions

Post by Ron Turner »

Bill,

These are the two places I go to for current (time not water or electric) info on that stretch of the ICW.
The worst places I saw last year were from SM 35 to Coinjock. You really have to pay attention and not get out of the channel (where ever it might be). The big power boats blow on by as if there were lots of water but the deep draft sailboats often do the "snake" method of navigation. That is watch the depth sounder and keep weaving over the deepest part.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/lnm/default.htm
http://www.nao.usace.army.mil/operations.html
Ron Turner
Andy Denmark

Potential trouble spots

Post by Andy Denmark »

Ron's references are dead on.

My friends, who have just gone north enroute to the northern Chesapeake (Schock 35 drawing 6 ft), encountered the bottom several times between M/M 40-45 just north of Coinjock where the channel jogs. This is exactly where Ron noted. They bumped but did not go hard aground.

There are a few other potential trouble spots that seem to cross folks up along this stretch of the ICW. The entrance to Alligator River at M/M 80-81 is confusing because it's sometimes hard to discern which is the next mark to head for (there's a wreck marker there that is often misconstrued as a channel mark). The buoyage change in the Pungo River should also be noted as the red/greens are standard buoyage and not ICW marks. A common grounding spot is the jog in the channel at M/M 151 where people tend to cut the corner at the entrance to Goose Creek. Stay with the marks and you'll be fine.

I'll be bringing a Sabre 34 to Vandemere from the northern Bay in mid-May. I'm at the owner's pleasure on this delivery otherwise we could schedule our timing to travel together. Stay in touch via L/L and maybe we can work it out. You might have to wait for us a day or two in Norfolk.

Glad to have your boat finally here!
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA