Stink

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe Wallace

Stink

Post by Joe Wallace »

Hi - I am plagued with an odor that I can't quite describe or get rid of...it started las summer and is coming from the port cubby under the V-berth, this is where most of the plumbing runs from the head to the holding tank and the seacock is located for the head's water intake.

All the waste hoses are brand new last season, I've pulled the head, holding tank and most of the hoses off the boat and it persists. It seems to be coming from the edge of the plywood in the opening into the bulkhead. I've bleached the entire inside of this space, Oxy-cleaned it and scrubbed it.

I am treating it with a commercial odor remover, and I plan to open a box of baking soda and spread some charcoal around to absorb the odor. But I would rather find the cause and eliminate it rather than treat the symptoms.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Roy J

Stink

Post by Roy J »

I once had an unidentifiable stink (very rank) in a bedroom, and after extensive searches under behind and within everything, found that a rodent had chewed and climbed its way into a mattress and died. We had to throw away the matress, but it got rid of the smell. Is it possible that a small animal got onto the boat and died between the liner and the hull? I have no idea how you can inspect for this, but its worth a thought. Several board members have reported finding squirrels and the like aboard, even if they were on moorings.

Good luck.

Roy J.
CD-25 #625 Auburn
Marblehead (where we are so prepared for the predicted flooding, it will never happen)
Bill Michne

Mystery odor

Post by Bill Michne »

We had a foul odor on Mintaka that we ultimately ascribed to the bilge. It seems the PO eliminated the shower sump, which also received the outflow from the icebox. He allowed the latter to drain directly into the bilge. Now that is a great place for all sorts of smelly bugs to breed and stink, especially when fed by the occasional injection of spilled milk, raw meat juice, etc. coming from the icebox. We thoroughly cleaned the bilge, and installed a proper sump for the icebox and shower. We also regularly clean the bilge, and add PineSol when we leave the boat, to keep it smelling fresh and clean. So I guess my message is: check your bilge.
Bill Michne
s/v Mintaka, CD 40
Paul Kamins

mystery odor

Post by Paul Kamins »

In past posts, someone found that the adhesive used to glue down the teak and honey veener caused a persistant odor. Once his floor was replaced the odor was cured. Your description of the odor comming from the edges of the plywood may match this problem. Try a search of the archives about this. Paul
Joe W

Mystery Odor

Post by Joe W »

Thanks Paul,

I get the strongest sense of this smell when I put my nose right up against the grain of the wood - or maybe a little behind it. My CD is an "Intrepid" - they started using a plastic veneer (vs a real Teak Veneer) on the cabin interior - looks good - fooled me & my surveyor....I think I may seal & paint the inside of this cubby then seal the edge grain of the plywood with varnish.

It is definately not a bilge smell - bilge is dry and the space between the hull liner and hull is pretty clean. You catch the smell when you open up the boat - but it dissipates - then it localizes to the one area.

While we are on the subject - you mentioned the teak / holly floors - this is one of my (intended) projects and I'm looking to find if I should fasten the Teak / Holly directly to the existing cabin sole - or lay down "sleepers" to allow for any water to flow under them. I already plan on sealing all surfaces.

Thanks again
Ed Haley

Check your air vent from the tank!

Post by Ed Haley »

Just a guess, but lots of odors come out the head vent. I'm not sure which CD you have but on my former CD28 I had a disconnected air vent that caused bad odors in the cabin. Also check to see if your anti-siphon valve is properly vented.
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Joe,

Another possibility.
Years ago many veneered plywoods were glued together with a formaldehyde based glue. I can remember in the mid 70's walking into brand new, still on the lot, mobile homes in Florida in the summer. The fumes were so strong that it made my eyes sting. Formaldehyde based insulation foam was also used for quite a while until it was found to be a health risk.

I am not sure if sealing the end grain of the plywood will help, but it can't hurt.

Fred B.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!