recommendation for anchor / rode for CD27

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JSS
CD27 #44
1977 Narragansett Bay, RI

recommendation for anchor / rode for CD27

Post by JSS »

I sail my CD27 around Narragansett Bay in Rhode Island, and am planning to do more cruising and overnighting than I usually do this summer. I am seeking advice from the readers of this board on what I should carry for anchors and how much chain I should have on the anchor rode. Currently we carry two small fortress type anchors and have about 6 feet of chain .
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Joel,
I carry two Fortress 10 anchors. My primary anchor has 30 ft of chain and the total rode in 200ft.
My second anchor has 6 ft of chain on a total 150 ft rode.
Like you, I don't spend that much time on the hook.
If you want to know the sizes I'll have to go and look it up as I really don't remember off hand.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Dick Barthel

CQR

Post by Dick Barthel »

Search the archives for prior advice from John Vigor. I think a 25lb CQR with 20 ft of chain (John provides specifics on precisely the type of chain) and at least 200 ft of three strand rode would be sufficient. The CQR shank swivels to allow for wind and tide shifts.

I have been using the 25lb CQR to hold our 25D (about 5200 pds) in fairly open water in front of our cottage in Long Island sound with only about 80 ft of line out without incident and no dragging at all. There have been some pretty good storms. The bottom is sand. I have transitioned from much worry at first to almost no worry.

Storage of a CQR might be an issue on a 27. As John V pointed out and is true, a 25lb CQR fits nicely in the anchor locker of a 25D. On a 27 you might need a anchor roller on the bow.

Another option is a Bruce which Randy Bates favors. Again, check the archives for his postings.
Bill Chapple

Post by Bill Chapple »

Joel, I use a Delta 22 with about 20 ft of 5/16" chain and 300" of 1/2" nylon three strand. Mounting it was a problem until I put in a short bowsprit with a Sparten bow roller
Bill
Clay Stalker

Anchors

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi Joel:

As you have cruised quite a bit with me, both on my previous CD27 and my current Shannon, you know how I feel about anchors...I am a great fan of CQRs, but didn't have one on my CD because of storage....but the 25 CQR is a great anchor (a bit of overkill, but worth it) for a CD27. I use it without fear in almost any weather with my 9,300 lb. Shannon. I have 50' of 5/16 chain and 200' of 1/2" three strand nylon rode. My backup is a Fortress FX-16 with 10' of chain and 200' of nylon rode. On my CD27, I used an FX-16 with 20' of chain and 200' of nylon. The FX-16 is a large anchor for the CD27, but they're light and easy to handle, so why not go for the big guy. 20-30' of chain and 200' of nylon rode will give you a good, solid system....just remember the Fortress/Danforth anchors do not alway reset when you swing around in the night...but I have been lucky, mine always has. The CQR is much safer in this regard. See you soon out on the Bay! :D

Clay Stalker
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Clay,
I mistakenly said I had the Fortress 10 on board SQN rather than the FX-16. That's the one I have but it only weighs 10 pounds...hence the confusion. It is "oversized" for the CD27 but I too never had any problems with the FX-16. I just hang it from a bracket on the bow pulpit. Don't need a roller or anything for it.
I'm sure the CQR is a fabulous anchor but if you don't have a roller and/or bowsprit, it could prove problematic.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
jambalaya

Anchor Rode

Post by jambalaya »

FWIW

I tried using 160 feet of 5/16" chain with about 200' of 5/8" rode on my CD 30, and I found that neither me nor the boat could handle that much chain. There doesn't seem to be enough room in the chain locker, especially since I keep the rode for the secondary anchor there as well. I went back to using only 60' of chain and the rest 3-strand with a rope to chain splice. I have 30' of chain on the other anchor.
But then I have a CD30. On a bigger boat with a bigger chain locker, there may be enough space for everything.
Will
Jambalaya
CD30 :roll:
Will Parker
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: recommendation for anchor / rode for CD27

Post by Neil Gordon »

There's lots of debate about anchors and to some extent it depends on the type of bottoms you're most likely to be anchoring in, under what conditions, etc. What there's little, if any, debate about is that more chain is better for holding than less chain. A boat length is the minimum.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ann and David Brownlee

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

We think a 15 lb CQR was plenty big enough for our previous boat, a CD 27. It stored quite neatly, hooked around the Dorade box.
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Ann and David Brownlee wrote:We think a 15 lb CQR was plenty big enough for our previous boat, a CD 27. It stored quite neatly, hooked around the Dorade box.
In what sort of conditions and for how long? I have a 15 lb CQR which I sometimes use as a lunch hook but I'm not comfortable leaving the boat alone if that's all that's holding it. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't sleep well, either.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Ann and David Brownlee

Post by Ann and David Brownlee »

We used the 15 lb CQR as our main anchor during six years of cruising on the Chesapeake in our CD 27--probably 25 nights per year. We didn't leave the boat untended, but we did sit out some savage thunderstorms in relatively sheltered anchorages. We carried a big Danforth for worse conditions, but I don't believe we ever used it.
Ann and David Brownlee
Cape Dory 31 #1 "Windrush"
Havre de Grace, MD
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Anchor rode on a CD27

Post by tjr818 »

My CD27 has a storage locker in the bow for the anchor rode. There is also a deck pipe for the rode to come on deck. My question is what do you do with the bitter end? There is no place to secure it down below in the locker. Any ideas?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Neil Gordon

Re: Anchor rode on a CD27

Post by Neil Gordon »

tjr818 wrote:My CD27 has a storage locker in the bow for the anchor rode. There is also a deck pipe for the rode to come on deck. My question is what do you do with the bitter end? There is no place to secure it down below in the locker. Any ideas?
Mine is secured to a 2"x4"x6" teak block with a hole drilled through. The block is too large to fit through the deck fitting.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

I guess it depends upon the bottom and such, but for nearly 20 years, TIA MARI (now MARIE ROSE) 1979 CD27 carried a Danforth 20H with chain/nylon rode. We never left the Chesapeake (sand and mud bottoms), never dragged, and periodically served as anchor boat for raft-ups. Some say it was too much anchor for the boat, but there is no such thing (unless you can't hoist it).

It was perfect for our needs, but yours are likely different.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where knowing your bottom from a hole in the ground is a good thing.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Anchor rode on a CD27

Post by tjr818 »

[quote=Mine is secured to a 2"x4"x6" teak block with a hole drilled through. The block is too large to fit through the deck fitting.[/quote]
Thanks Neil, I guess that is just to keep from losing the line. Would that take any kind of load from the anchor? Is that area of the deck strong enough?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27