Cape dory person died ??

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve

Cape dory person died ??

Post by Steve »

About a week ago in our local news paper in Stuart Florida ( just north of Palm Beach ) the paper reported that a man 62 yrs old was found dead at the wheel of 33' Cape Dory that had apparently then ran aground in the intercoastal. I've hear no more so I thought I would post it. The mans name was John Holt Bunker. The boat was still running. The death they said did not look suspicious. Sad story !!!!
Steve

date correction

Post by Steve »

The actual date in the paper was 3-15-05
mahalocd36

sad....

Post by mahalocd36 »

Very sad, but on a positive note I can think of worse ways to go...let me go behind the wheel of my sailboat.....at least he didn't die behind his desk at work.

Can you tell I've been working way too much lately!! As Rich would say I've got to get my priorities straight.....

Melissa 2-months-to-launch Abato
CD36 Mahalo #163
Steve I

I agree !!

Post by Steve I »

If you gotta go I agree this is better than at a work. I just hate to see someone not being able get to enjoy retirement after ( I'm guessing ) after many years of working to be able to retire. This is one of my biggest fears ! retire soon and be poor? work long and hard to be more comfortable ? Hopefully this gentleman was living his dream.
Ed Haley

John Bunker

Post by Ed Haley »

John Bunker had a summer cottage along the Canadian shoreline of the Thousand Island region. He invited sailors of the Great Lakes Fleet to visit him at his place. He was a very friendly person but I never had the opportunity of meeting him.
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

In passing, always leave a good wake

Post by s.v. LaVida »

I believe we met him in passing a few years back and he was indeed a nice gent.

Bless his Cape Dorian sole.

Mike
s.v.LaVida
littleredsquirrel@hotmail

John Bunker

Post by littleredsquirrel@hotmail »

My beloved husband did die at the helm of his sailboat Serenus on Saturday evening 12th March. He was alone and en route to the Islands. I think that he had a major problem between Vero and Stuart, perhaps running aground. Serenus was found towing two dinghies. If anyone has any information, maybe someone saw him. I would very much like to see the Stuart newspaper story. I am absolutely devastated. I am heartbroken. Maggie Bunker.
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

condolences

Post by Sandy D. »

Maggie,
My heart goes out for you. Somehow I feel John is still sailing for the islands,only he isn't alone anymore.

god bless

John Bunker

Sandy thankyou so very much for your condolences, I broke down when I read your message, I truly hope that John is going to the Islands and not alone. It is our 30th wedding anniversary today, 21st March. I have many wonderful friends, I could not have coped without them, but I am alone. Maggie
Mathias

Eight Bells

Post by Mathias »

Maggie,

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time of loss. I did not know your husband, but as a fellow sailor, I am mentally chiming eight bells for him and sending my condolences your way.

Take care,
-Mathias

John Bunker

Thankyou Mathias. Maggie
joeb

Maggie: I called you to let you know about the posts here

Post by joeb »

Maggie:
I spoke to you the other day to let you know about the posts
about John on the Cape Dory board. At the risk of incurring the wrath
of fellow Cape Dory board members I wanted to share a website to help ease some of your loss around John. http://www.childpastlives.org/birthmrk.htm
I hope this helps.
joeb
Zeida Cecilia-Mendez

John Bunker

Post by Zeida Cecilia-Mendez »

Maggie: Most of us do not know you or John, but his passing at the helm of his Cape Dory touches a very special place in our hearts. Cape Dory sailors are like one big family and when something like this happens, we are all affected.

Words will not mean much at a time like this, for you. But I also have a CD 33, like Serenus, and can tell you that when John set out on his trip, he must have been one happy guy. His time came up when he was in the middle of something he enjoyed a lot. Lucky him. Not a catastrophic illness, not a nursing home, not lthe loss of his ability to perform as a normal human being doing what he liked. This was a gift. For this, you and he will be forever thankful. You are now alone and devastated. Of course. But he is continuing his trip towards a much better place. He will find everything he loves there, and much more, and he will also find you there, some day.

I am in Miami, Florida, and if there is anything I can do to help you with Serenus, let me know. There are plenty of us Cape Dory sailors down here that will gladly do whatever you need. In the meantime, please accept my sincere condolences.
Zeida
mahalocd36

My sincerest condolences

Post by mahalocd36 »

Maggie,
My sincerest condolences to you.

Looks like Zeida beat me to it - but I was going to say that if there's anything you need, PLEASE let the board know. There are a lot of people who would help you deal with the boat, getting her home, etc.

Regards,
Melissa Abato

John Bunker

I want to express my gratitude to all CD posters who have written on this board about my husbands passing. Your messages help to keep me going at this terribly difficult time. God Bless you all. Maggie