Replacement mailsail for CD Typhoon Weekender

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RTabor

Replacement mailsail for CD Typhoon Weekender

Post by RTabor »

I am considering the purchase of a new mainsail for my '76 Typhoon "Flirt". Has anyone had experience with The Sail Warehouse located in Monterey, CA? Their standard mainsail has only 1 reef point. Would that be enough for sailing in coastal, Fishers Island Sound? Appreciate any input.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

What is the hull number of your Ty - I also have a 76 er? #1130
JERRY FINK
"SLOW FLIGHT II"
VIRGINIA BEACH, VIRGINIA

NEW SAILS FOR TYPHOON WEEKENDER

Post by JERRY FINK »

I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT SAIL WAREHOUSE FOR NEW SAILS AND WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS.
Lang

New mainsail for Typhoon

Post by Lang »

I have bought a set of sails from Lee Sails in HK. It was very easy to work with them as they have made sails for Typhoon before.

Pre sales service was not good, but sails turned out to be well made and definately good value for money. My main had 2 reefs, got a jib and genoa.

I found myself putting on 2nd reef on windy days. Had a bad heeling too much experience when a gust caught me by surprise.

Hope this helps. Smooth sailing folks.
crazywilbur

Re: Replacement mailsail for CD Typhoon Weekender

Post by crazywilbur »

RTabor wrote:I am considering the purchase of a new mainsail for my '76 Typhoon "Flirt". Has anyone had experience with The Sail Warehouse located in Monterey, CA? Their standard mainsail has only 1 reef point. Would that be enough for sailing in coastal, Fishers Island Sound? Appreciate any input.
i have a main sail for cape dory typhoon $150. good shape email crazywilbur@hotmail.com I can take a few pictures of sail . Sail is still got some good life in it.
dockmaster at fhyc
Peter Drake
1974 Typhoon Weekender #672,
Marblehead, MA

The Sail Warehouse (TSW)

Post by Peter Drake »

I recently purchased a new OEM-style working jib from TSW. Very pleased with product, price, and service. In-stock, and arrived at my door in three days. Complete transaction conducted over internet in five minutes, or less. Includes sail tie, sail bag, and leech line.

I have a single, deep, reef in my Typhoon mainsail. This sail combination works great for me, on Fisher's Island Sound.

P-
Neil Mietz

North Sails

Post by Neil Mietz »

Last season I purchased a new Main Sail for my Typhoon from North Sails in NJ. It cost a little more, but the personal service made up for it.
They ask how many reef points "I" wanted in the sail, along with what type of sailing I was going to do. They also made recommendations on type and weight of the sail cloth.
Build the sail to my requirements. I am very happy with this sail.
I like to use local sailmakers, riggers etc, because of the personal service. Plus they depend on you for recommendations and future business.

Neil
________
New jersey medical marijuana dispensaries
________
St1300
Last edited by Neil Mietz on Feb 15th, '11, 08:05, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Drake
1974 Typhoon Weekender #672,
Marblehead, MA

Local Sail Lofts

Post by Peter Drake »

Hi Neil:

I too prefer to support the local sail lofts, for the added value they offer.

Although, it's hard to justify the (not-insignificant) cost difference when you know what you're looking for.

P-
Les Bloom
Portsmouth, RI

more info about Lee Sails

Post by Les Bloom »

Hi Mr. Lang

Could you e-mail me more about Lee Sails pre-sales and what
data you need to provide to them. Their data sheet requirement
appear to be really too much for a TY jib request.

Thanks in advance,

Les Bloom

Les.bloom@earthlink.net

Lang wrote:I have bought a set of sails from Lee Sails in HK. It was very easy to work with them as they have made sails for Typhoon before.

Pre sales service was not good, but sails turned out to be well made and definately good value for money. My main had 2 reefs, got a jib and genoa.

I found myself putting on 2nd reef on windy days. Had a bad heeling too much experience when a gust caught me by surprise.

Hope this helps. Smooth sailing folks.
Les Bloom
Lang

Jib order to Lee sails

Post by Lang »

Hi,

Yes, they online order form is very comprehensive. I had difficulty with that too, but I did get the measurements that they wanted.

In the end, these were the numbers that worked for me on my unmodified TY weekender rig.

Jib: 4.8oz USwt dacron, 19'6" luff x 7'4" foot x 17'6" leech

Smooth sailing folks.
Lang.