Of scrapers, sanders, and sore muscles

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

David van den Burgh

Of scrapers, sanders, and sore muscles

Post by David van den Burgh »

Not too long ago there was some discussion about bottom work and paint scrapers. Cathy suggested that many people in her yard swear by the scraper. Well, here's another.

After previously spending four dusty, miserable hours wrestling with a 6" random-orbit overhead, today I decided to give the scraper a try and I'm convinced: it is more efficient, easier to use, and gentler on the ears and environment than a sander. I managed to scrape virtually the entire hull in the time it took me to sand less than a quarter of the hull with the random-orbit. And guess what?! I even managed to enjoy the work more (despite the 30 degree temperature). There's something cathartic about the triad of man, tool, and solitude.

A word of caution: Ariel's hull is barrier coated which allowed me to have a more cavalier attitude with the scraper than I would have otherwise; any over-zealous scrape simply shaved the barrier coat instead of precious gel coat. Even so, I wouldn't hesitate to give the scraper a try on a non-barrier coated hull. I would just approach it a bit more deliberately.
Will Wheatley
On Mill Creek in Annnapolis, MD

Post by Will Wheatley »

Hi David
I agree that a scraper is the way to go, at least when starting out. I use a 5 in 1 tool to scrape the easy stuff off. The first few times I tried just sanding and I found that there were areas where the old paint would come off in crusty chunks onto the roller as I painted the new bottom paint on. Having spent a number of hours preping the bottom with a sander I was a bit annoyed by that. Now the sander only comes in at the end to soften up some rough spots.

That won't be a worry for me this year as Suzi Q is already in her slip waiting for her new mainsail to arrive. The sail should be here by the end of March so I hope to get out there in a few weeks. The folks at CDI were even nice enough to patch up the old sail at no charge and already sent it back to me. I'm really looking forward to the weather change as I have been couped up all winter and can hardly wait for the sailing season to begin.
Good luck with those bottoms
Will Wheatley, CDSOA
Sailing The Bay near Chesapeake Beach, MD