How do I check for Cabin Sag ?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

trek47

How do I check for Cabin Sag ?

Post by trek47 »

Hello! I was recently told how to tell whether I have Cabin Sag on my Typhoon, I should measure the cabin floor to the interior of the mast support. Is this true? If so I measured 38 1/4 is this off? Also I still have not gotten an answer regarding adjusting the shrouds on my TY using a Loos Guage. Thnx-Mich
dwdisbennett

Cabin Sag

Post by dwdisbennett »

Look right where the cabine meets the deck. If you see a gulley or indentation around the cabin it is being pushed down. I may ony look like a half inch or so but it really is a lot more. I put a compression post in mine with very little effort and it went away. My cap shrouds were almost bottomed out and now they have about an inch of thread showing.

E-Mail me and I can send pics on how I built the post/jack system

Dave
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Cabin Sag

Post by Jim Sullivan »

I've owned two typhoons over a period of about 14 years--a '73 Ty had this problem although a '71 Ty did not. I would be willing to look at your boat and offer my opinion. This problem can be corrected with a support post. I also live in Bristol, RI. If interested, let me know and I'll take a look.

Jim :)
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: How do I check for Cabin Sag ?

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi... here you go. winthrop

trek47 wrote:Hello! I was recently told how to tell whether I have Cabin Sag on my Typhoon, I should measure the cabin floor to the interior of the mast support. Is this true? If so I measured 38 1/4 is this off? Also I still have not gotten an answer regarding adjusting the shrouds on my TY using a Loos Guage. Thnx-Mich
http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/imoutsailing2/album?.dir=/8495