Stuffing Box Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jack

Stuffing Box Question

Post by Jack »

The packing in my stuffing box is coming up on 5 years of age (about 250 hrs). The gland runs cool and rarely drips if any. My question is "should the packing be replaced on a frequency basis (engine hrs., years, etc.) or when it begins to drip excessively and the adjustment nut is down as far as it will go?" In other words, is this something that would be fixed if it is not broken?

As always, you help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Post by Guest »

if the shaft runs cool...and rarely drips...leave it alone
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Stuffing box IS a maintence item

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Most stuffing boxes, except the dripless type, is a maintence item. The packing material WILL wear down and more will need to be packed in, during the next haulout. The packing nut almost all the way down AND starting to drip more, is telling you that its time to start planning on pulling maintence on it again.
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Stuffing Box

Post by Jim Sullivan »

I would suggest that you do a Search on this subject. There has been much discussion on this topic. You don't mention the type of packing that is now in place, i.e., conventional flax, teflon, graphite, etc. Some types of packing will last longer than others. I've had the best luck with 3/16" flax packing on my CD22D which has a 1" bronze shaft. From what I have read, it is important to remove all of the old packing before adding new packing. If the packing is excessively worn, it could result in scoring of the shaft--not a good thing. I would say after 5 years, it would be a good time to replace it. It is a rather simple procedure to do on the hard. In my case, I plan to replace mine about every three years.

:)