Detailing your boat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RMeigel
1979 Cape Dory 27
Annapolis

Detailing your boat

Post by RMeigel »

It is that time of the year! I attended a short seminar given by George Prosser of First Mate Yacht Services - they have a contract to do detailing for new Catalina yachts here in Annapolis - and service many types of other clients. He shared his "toolkit" of detailing products with comments including the following:

Starbrite Non-Skid Deck Cleaner - put in a squirt bottle and spritz directly onto the deck. Let sit for 5-10 minutes then come back to it. Takes up most anything.

Never, ever, use Soft Scrub on gelcoat.

Whink rust remover - Put it in a "preval" aerosol spray bottle. http://www.autobodystore.com/preval.htm Spritz, wait a few minutes for it to do its thing.

The critical message for me was - do not apply directly onto a sponge/rag/scrubber - too much waste.

Handy Dandy wax applicator: http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/HDD/HDD10415.html
Pour wax into small plastic container then dip applicator into the container to put wax on the applicator.

He doesn't use paste wax.

He likes the Interlux liquid compound product when compounding is needed.

MacGuires One-Step is easier to use than 3-Ms one step restorer and wax - not as thick and pasty. When I asked him whether it was reasonable to expect the thick and pasty stuff to last longer after application his response was that the trade rags like Practical Sailor all say the same thing- the surface will absorb only so much wax product and no more. He hasn't had a client complain about a liquid wax job not lasting long enough.

If choosing between a gelcoat or paint job polish product vs. cleaner/wax combo product - don't use the polish product. Polish products are harder to apply and trap dirt if not applied just so or there is bottom paint dust in the air. The only vendors he knows who apply polish products professionally do so indoors in controlled environments. In his opinion, the polish end result doesn't look much better than a good wax result.

Instead of metal polish just use wax on metal stanchions, etc., IF hardware is in good condition. It is difficult to use the metal "Never Dull" product without the rag or material tainting the surrounding gelcoat. But, if he is using a metal polish product it is Never Dull.

He walks around with a single edge razor blade in his pocket because he uses it all the time. One of the uses is if Cetol or varnish or (gasp!) EPOXY drips on the gel coat and has hardened beyond the capabilities of acetone (followed by rinse) to lift it. Rub in wax all around the spot and then on the spot itself. Take straight edge razor and gently start on the waxed unspotted gelcoat area and scrape the flat side of razor against edge of spot and under spot to lift it. The wax product helps the razor to slide along the gelcoat smoothly without scratching it. Supposedly it doesn't matter how old the spot is.
(I HAVE NOT YET TRIED THIS AND CANNOT VOUCH FOR IT BUT YOU CAN BET I'LL BE TRYING IT THIS SPRING)

He also recommended a book called Boat Maintenance by William Burr, Jr.

The recommended sequence for commissioning is:

Wash boat
Prep bottom surface
Compound freeboard
Paint bottom
Splash in
Wait to wax the deck until after launch and after you actually start using the boat. He sees so many try to wax deck before launch when bottom paint dust is flying around the yard. OR, they launch in early April, get the deck waxed but then don't really use the boat until Mayish. Then they get the deck waxed again before laying up for the winter. George's point is - a May wax job and a late summer wax job are still two wax jobs a year AND you get to enjoy them. He has actually gotten to the point where he won't agree to wax decks until after launch.

It was over 50 degrees yesterday - I almost went after the seacocks but then thought better of it.

Robin
Russell Skinner

Thanks

Post by Russell Skinner »

I've been using soft scrub and will stop. Good to know.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Detailing your boat

Post by Carter Brey »

Hi, Robin--

Thanks for this information. I was particularly interested in the nonskid cleaning part, having left my deck absolutely filthy with bootprints while deploying my Fairclough in December.

I sent you a response to a private email last week and it was bounced back to me by your domain (I believe it's your work address). Has this happened to you before? I'll try again later.

Best,
Carter