cd30 staysail boom

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Craig LeBlanc
WARREN,R.I.
MOLLY DOOKER
HULL #85

cd30 staysail boom

Post by Craig LeBlanc »

Greetings
I recently bought a cd30 without a staysail boom, I guess the previous owner didn't like the foredeck clutter! I tried sailing with the staysail a little last year but it doesn't sheet correctly with existing hardware. I have never been on a capedory cutter rig before so I'm asking for some help!!! Rig Rite which sells spartan spars does not show the parts.

I'm looking for 2 things.
1. Pictures of the rig showing every detail.
2. Opinions...I think there are three options.

option1. don't use the sail since it can't be sheeted correctly..not crazy about this option.

option2. spend over a thousand dollars which is what rig rite qouted me last year and I'm not sure if that includes everything I need.

option3. spend alot more time installing adjustable tracks with jib leads or perhaps a couple of padeyes.

Craig Leblanc
Warren, RI
Molly Dooker Hull# 85
[/quote][/i]
Kevin L.
San Francisco (Alameda) CA

Post by Kevin L. »

Craig,

I've tried sailing my 30c without the staysail. Doesn't work for me, at least when sailing to weather. First, you need the sail area for balance in the foretriangle. Second, furling the yankee and sailing on the staysail is part of the logic of reducing sail as the wind increases.

I feel your pain in dealing with rig rite. However, they aren't the only folks with a boom system out there. If you're not married to the "OEM" look, you might consider what Forespar has to offer: http://www.forespar.com/catalog/systems ... ge2004.pdf

There is nothing wrong with dumping the boom and using fairleads and sheets. Having said that, I don't think you will be happy with the results of padeyes and fixed leads. You need to be able to control the tension on the leech of the sail, and you won't be able to adjust this with fixed leads.

Installing T-track for staysail leads is an alternative, but may end up being quite a project compared with the "bold on" approach of the boom. Depends whether you've got more time or more money. Doesn't everything?

Good Luck

Kevin L.
Kevin LeMans
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Craig,

I have a CD28 with a jib club boom. I am rerigging the boat and will not be using the club.

The extrusion, NOT including end fittings is 8'10" long.
It is a RigRite #CD2 boom section.
It has both end castings, a cleat for the clew sheet, the goose neck fitting and a bale for the sheet block. It is in good condition though the end castings should probably be repainted.

This should be the same as what is used on a CD30 but I do not know if the length is correct. Perhaps another member can tell you.

I also have the cast bronze pedestal for the club if you should need that as well.

I can take pictures of the parts and e-mail them to you.

My e-mail address is in my profile.

Take care,
Fred B.
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Here is another option for mast/boom. I have only talked with them once and they mailed be a sample of their boom for comparison with the existing boom. And at least they acted friendly. I have not ordered from them.

Dwyer Mast

RigRite IS NOT the only game in town.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Jay Kanavos

Email Address

Post by Jay Kanavos »

Craig,

I have a CD30 and about 6 staysail boom pictures. If you send me your email address, I'll gladly email them to you. They are about 1MB each so if you have a high speed internet connection let me know, otherwise I'll try to reduce them in size.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA
Ron M.

Staysail boom

Post by Ron M. »

Craig,
If all else fails try Marine Consignment in Wickford, R.I.-Last time I was in there they had quite an assortment of aluminum.
Good luck,
Ron
________
Ford duratorq engine
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.
Craig LeBlanc
WARREN,R.I.
MOLLY DOOKER
HULL #85

need pics

Post by Craig LeBlanc »

Thanks for all the replies everyone I really appreciate it.

Kevin the hoyt boom looks like that's the ultimate just don't know if thats the route I want to go. I need more info from them and if anyone knows of someone with a simular setup please let me know!!! If thats the best system and structurally the deck is not impacted and its relatively a simple install then I would certainly lean that way... "but" the previous owner installed an electric windless and now Fred has me thinking that maybe there was a cast bronze pedestal there that he removed and installed the windless in its place..just guessing as I would imagine something must have been there to attach the boom too.

Right now I need to see an actual installation of the original setup. I have 4 pictures of my current installation and it consist of a detachable pelican hook with a baby stay adjuster, right in back of that is the original anchor warp hawse and behind this off center a couple of inches and to starboard is a spint 600 series electric windless...that's it there is no traveller, topping lift and I don't know what else that's why I need some pictures or better yet a visit to an actual cd30 with the cutter setup. On the cabin top there's a standing block on one side and a pad eye on the other and I guess what is the traveller track but its part of the fiberglass mold..this I really don't understand I think something was removed.
Jay Kanavos

Pictures Sent

Post by Jay Kanavos »

Craig,

I sent you some pics. If you didn't get them, let me know.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA