New Old Dinghy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RickP

New Old Dinghy

Post by RickP »

Hi,

I have an opportunity to purchase a new hypalon dinghy (achilles) 2003 model that has never been taken out of the box.

Price is great, but am concerned that fabric could be damaged since it has been folded untouched for over 2 years. Should I be concerned with this? Any suggestions to make sure that the fabric has not been damaged?

Thx!
Bill Starck
Swansea, MA

Post by Bill Starck »

Rick,

I have an Achilles inflatable, it has to be at least 10 years old, it came with my CD when I bought her. My Achilles is kept folded most of the time. I wouldn't worry about it never having been opened, the fabric is pretty tough.

Bill
Bob M.

Achilles inflatable

Post by Bob M. »

Rick:

Should not be a problem provided it was not stored in extreme heat for long periods. We also have an Achilles inflatable which must be over 18+ years old as we bought it when we acquired our Cape Dory. With proper care and cleaning the dinghy will last many years and it does not matter how long you store it below.

Bob M.
Ranger #144