Can someone explain why masts are removed in winter?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

joe baltar

Can someone explain why masts are removed in winter?

Post by joe baltar »

Would appreciate basic sailing 101 answer to: Why masts are removed during winter when on the hard and : the pros and cons of a deck stepped mast vs a keel stepped mast..thank you. joeb
marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

depends on the lift design

Post by marka »

If the design of the boat lift is such that it can lift the boat without taking the mast down, then there's no reason to remove the mast over the winter.

With respect to keel stepped vs deck stepped, If the rig is over-tightened, the deck may be over stressed with the deck stepped design.

The down-side of the keel stepped mast is the potential for leakage around the mast. I was on one boat where the main bulkhead had turned to mush at the mast base from continuous leakage.

Either design is completely serviceable if adjusted and operated properly.

mark
Mark Abramski
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Can someone explain why masts are removed in winter?

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
well it depends on where you live and also if you need the mast inspecked, all so check your standing rigging.
this should be done ever year on all boats, big or small.
most people don't do that ever year, but you should.
any one can lose your mast over the side of the boat,
on smaller boats people take them down just because, it is essayer. and on larger boats its to check everything on board, from top to bottom.
there are allot of reasons and all so where you live has allot to do with it.

winthrop :)

joe baltar wrote:Would appreciate basic sailing 101 answer to: Why masts are removed during winter when on the hard and : the pros and cons of a deck stepped mast vs a keel stepped mast..thank you. joeb
David Sabourin
Tracy's Creek, Maryland

Post by David Sabourin »

Many Marinas and storage facilities, especially in the northeast require removal of spars due to the excessive noise on windy days. At least that is my experience.
joe baltar

what I heard is:

Post by joe baltar »

Thanks for responding. What I hear is if boat lift design can remove boat without removing mast it is ok to leave on. I also hear it is good practice to remove mast annually to trouble shoot, inspect and correct
problems. When re-rigged in spring all adjustments are brought to spec.
My concerns about keel vs deck stepping is one of strength especially
in rough seas like the roaring 40's. If the boat takes a wave at a wrong angle and catapoles 360 degrees is it a mute point whether the boat is keel stepped or deck stepped? thanks joeb
mahalocd36

Mast Removal

Post by mahalocd36 »

Since we have our boat hauled home we don't really have any choice! :D Many boats are stored in inland yards which also makes removal necessary. It may be less expensive to store the boat at an inland yard and pay the cost of stepping and unstepping the mast than to store at near the water. Boatyards near the water usually really pack them close together. If one boat should tip over it will most likely take several more with it. We remove all running rigging over the winter and bring it home. Over the winter we inspect and wash the lines. It also keeps the lines out of the sun and wind so they will hopefully last a bit longer. You can also do this with the mast up by running messenger lines in place of halyards over the winter. In addition to the running and standing rigging inspection, having the mast down allows you to check wiring, lights and antennas. Last but no least dropping the mast each year makes money for the boatyards! :wink:
Todd Dunn

Dropping the mast(s) and deck versus keel stepped spars - my

Post by Todd Dunn »

There are a couple of reasons to take the spars down for winter storage.

First, if the area is windy, taking the masts down greatly reduces windage and reduces the possibility of a boat toppling over in a storm. This is a big factor here on the Maine coast where we get a number of 50+ knot storms every winter.

Second - It is much easier to put a weather tight cover on the boat with the mast down. With the mast up, the cover has to fit around the mast and the standing rigging. Every spot where something penetrates the cover is a potential leak.

Third - (As mentioned by others) it gives a great opportunity to inspect the rig and make any upgrades.

Fourth - (as mentioned by others) It generates income for the yard.

Now on to deck and keel stepped masts. Structurally there is no real difference in the strength of the rig assuming it is properly designed. The big reason for a keel stepped mast comes from the fact that a lighter, smaller size, spar can be used if the stick is keel stepped. Just look in any yacht design book to get the details on this. Using a smaller mast section means less weight aloft and, if all else is equal, a stiffer boat. That said, all else is never equal because the designer that goes with a keel stepped mast will always adjust ballast to compensate for the spar weight.

Deck stepped masts need to be larger, stronger, heavier sections than keel stepped masts. That gives more weight aloft, which requires more ballast to get equivalent stiffness to the ssame boat with a keel stepped mast. On the plus side, there are no deck penetrations (other than electrical connections) with a deck stepped mast, so leaks are less of a problem. A deck stepped mast does require a strong structural member (compression post) under the mast to transfer the rig load to the keel. This is normally accomplished by putting in a structural bulkhead under the mast with the compression post built into the bulkhead. A keel stepped mast doesn't need that compression post or the commonly associated bulkhead, which gives the designer a bit more freedom when designing the interrior layout. There is a mast in the middle of the cabin though.

I hope this helps.
Dalton

I take it down every year

Post by Dalton »

One of those very divided questions. I've always taken it down. My last boat was deck stepped and current boat is keel stepped. This only makes a little difference, you just have to be careful. Here on the shore in Jersey it's soo windy so much of the winter and the vibration can't be good. We're in a municipal yard and contractors can work there, for a fee and proof of ins. We hire a crane and get a group together and get the cost down. We average about $75.00 each, each way. Getting them out is always faster than getting them in. We pulled a record 18 masts in five hours this fall.
Sometimes we can park the crane once and lift 4 or 5 without moving. Add a few ketches and yawls and we can fly.
When I bought my Robinhood 36 I bought a one piece canvas cover from Faircough in CT. It was a lot less expensive without all the slits. So as part of a long term plan the cover keeps her dry and out of the sun for 5 or so months a year. After 8 years shes been covered for over 3 years. I believe she looks better for it.

Pros to taking the mast off:
Easier inspection of all rigging, lighting and wiring
Touch up all scratches, If it's painted like mine
Boat covers easier and better
No vibration and stress
You can cover the mast

Cons:
It can be expensive
Storage can be an issue
Sometimes you do more damage moving it so much

Greg Dalton
Jay Kanavos

Big Con

Post by Jay Kanavos »

One of my major cons with respect to taking the mast off are the following charges that my boat yard has levied (if the mast comes down):

1. Un-step & store mast: $8.25 per foot + $165 crane fee
2. Store mast: $275
3. Furler storage: $50 (new this year)
4. Step mast: $8.25 + $165 crane fee
5. Environmental Fee 2% of total

So, for my CD-30 with a 33 ft mast, that equates to:

1. Unstep: $8.25 x 33 = $272.25 + $165 = $437.25
2. Storage: $275
3. Furler storage: $50
4. Step mast in spring: $437.25
5. Total: $1200.00
6. Environmental fee (2%): $24.00
7. GRAND TOTAL: $1224.00

Just a point of reference.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA
Leo MacDonald CD33

Unstep-Rigging Stress, Strongest-Keel Stepped Period

Post by Leo MacDonald CD33 »

Hi All,

Store unstepped;
-Read so many articles and books that I forgot where, but the wind vibrating the rigging during the winter puts a lot of cycling stress on chain plates, shrouds/stays, tangs and bolting.
-Inspect lines, masthead, sheaves, tangs, etc., etc. annually.

Keel Stepped mast is stronger;
-I remember where I read this one (maybe.) Ted Brewer had an article in 'Good Old Boat' as to why. He described, in lay terms, some of the forces and reasons with the conclusion that the keel stepped was better. Basically a stronger setup.

Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
S/V Evening Light CD33 no. 38
With a TrueCharger 20+ and to happy 6VDC AGM Batteries
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Gin pole,

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Does your marina have a gin pole that would allow you to (un)step the mast yourself (ok, a couple fellow sailors that will follow directions). Its not that difficult. Have helped a number of people (I get to play crane (gin pole) operator) do it.
The keel step can be more interesting, as the mast has to be moved farther in the vertical direction.

One additional advantage to pulling the mast, is covering the boat during the winter (tarp, canvas, shrink wrap) is MUCH easier and faster. Could be a factor if you pay to have shrink wrapping done.

Re: Big Con

Post by Guest »

Jay Kanavos wrote:One of my major cons with respect to taking the mast off are the following charges that my boat yard has levied (if the mast comes down):

1. Un-step & store mast: $8.25 per foot + $165 crane fee
2. Store mast: $275
3. Furler storage: $50 (new this year)
4. Step mast: $8.25 + $165 crane fee
5. Environmental Fee 2% of total

So, for my CD-30 with a 33 ft mast, that equates to:

1. Unstep: $8.25 x 33 = $272.25 + $165 = $437.25
2. Storage: $275
3. Furler storage: $50
4. Step mast in spring: $437.25
5. Total: $1200.00
6. Environmental fee (2%): $24.00
7. GRAND TOTAL: $1224.00

Just a point of reference.

Jay
DUDE get a tabernacle you can make a very stronge one for 1/2
that cost if you use scrap SS to build it and a independent welder
and why not store the mast and gear on deck????
dasein668

Post by dasein668 »

8.25 a foot PLUS 165 crane fee?! Just for the stepping?

Ouch. Where are you located? EDIT: Oh, right, I see that you are in Boston... That might explain it!

For my Triton with a 38 foot mast our local yard charges labor plus a $50 crane fee which normally works out to about 100 bucks. I store my boat off-site, so they just pick the stick up and lay it down on deck, but still!

Have you done any comparison shopping in your area?
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com