Hull #1 typhoon weekender verification

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Peter Swiderski

Hull #1 typhoon weekender verification

Post by Peter Swiderski »

I came across an old typhoon weekender with a bronze plate indicating Hull# 1 Is their any way to cross reference the ID # on the hull to determine if this is truly hull#1?
Thanks,
Peter :?:
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Hull # 1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Peter,

What a lucky find. You didn't make it clear if you are now the owner or that you know where someone else has a Weekender with the brass #1.

As for cross referencing the plate number to the engraved hull number. I have owned CD Ty Weekender #42 for about 30 years now. I have just sold Ty Weekender # 52 this past week. For years, people have been telling me that the hull number is engraved in the fibreglass at the starboard side of the transom. I'll be dipped if I could ever find the engraved number on the older hulls. The newer ones, yes, but not the early hulls.

There are lots of changes and improvements (?? ) made between hull #42 and Hull #52. There's not an awful lot of time differential between when those two hulls were made. I can only imagine that there was an equally amount of changes, if not more, since when hull #1 was made and hull #42 was.

I can give you some things to look for in order to somewhat establish the vintage era when the hull was made. The things that I mention should not appear on the hull in question. If they are not as I mention but appear to be more modern, there is a good chance that someone placed a vintage placque on a newer hull.

The earlier Ty Weekenders had cockpit bench seats about 12" wide
made of teak slats, each about 2" wide. The coamings were the backrests. There is open space beneath these benches, no storage lockers like the newer models have. The cockpit sole is at, or below, the water level. They had no cockpit drains.

At least up to hull #42, there was a one piece, keel mounted mast that passed through a moulded hole in the cuddy roof. Up to that time there were no tabernacle mast mounts that I have ever heard of. If the hull did, in fact, have a tabernacle in place, it is possible that it was an add on. By carefully inspecting the tabernacle area, above and beneath the cuddy roof, it might be possible to discover tell tale signs of a previous keel mounted mast. Look for an old aluminum mast retainer on the keel.

The older Ty Weekenders had two teak grates in the sole, one in the cockpit area and the other directly under the opened cuddy hatch and over the eyebolt in the keel. I'm not positively certain that the next item is etched in stone or not. However, I don't seem to remember any Tys from the dealer being factory wired. Sure, many Tys had lights but I think that they might have been add ons, maybe not. My #42 Ty was wired at a later date.

I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to see if there is a scuffed out area at the upper stb'd side of the transom where a hull number might have been at an earlier time. Caveat emptor. I hope some of this might help.

Have a splendid weekend
OJ
:D Zaida, that's for you. Thanks
Steve Laume

Serial numbers

Post by Steve Laume »

As I understand it the serial numbers on the transom were not added untill about 1973. There fore if you cannot find any evedence of a number ever being there it would indicate you are dealing with an earlier boat. Best of luck, Steve.
Neil Mietz

Hull#1

Post by Neil Mietz »

It is always nice to hear about the original Typhoons.
I have a relatively new boat, number 529.
Please keep us informed at to its condition and sailing status..

The other Neil
________
Miura
Last edited by Neil Mietz on Mar 7th, '11, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Hull # 1

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
the only i thing i can add is that they all so put the hull number on the cockpit seat starboard side to the aft section in the corner, i have seen that on ty's from the late 60's and up.
thats where it is on mine and its all so on the stern too. :wink:
winthrop
Oswego John wrote:Hi Peter,

What a lucky find. You didn't make it clear if you are now the owner or that you know where someone else has a Weekender with the brass #1.

As for cross referencing the plate number to the engraved hull number. I have owned CD Ty Weekender #42 for about 30 years now. I have just sold Ty Weekender # 52 this past week. For years, people have been telling me that the hull number is engraved in the fibreglass at the starboard side of the transom. I'll be dipped if I could ever find the engraved number on the older hulls. The newer ones, yes, but not the early hulls.

There are lots of changes and improvements (?? ) made between hull #42 and Hull #52. There's not an awful lot of time differential between when those two hulls were made. I can only imagine that there was an equally amount of changes, if not more, since when hull #1 was made and hull #42 was.

I can give you some things to look for in order to somewhat establish the vintage era when the hull was made. The things that I mention should not appear on the hull in question. If they are not as I mention but appear to be more modern, there is a good chance that someone placed a vintage placque on a newer hull.

The earlier Ty Weekenders had cockpit bench seats about 12" wide
made of teak slats, each about 2" wide. The coamings were the backrests. There is open space beneath these benches, no storage lockers like the newer models have. The cockpit sole is at, or below, the water level. They had no cockpit drains.

At least up to hull #42, there was a one piece, keel mounted mast that passed through a moulded hole in the cuddy roof. Up to that time there were no tabernacle mast mounts that I have ever heard of. If the hull did, in fact, have a tabernacle in place, it is possible that it was an add on. By carefully inspecting the tabernacle area, above and beneath the cuddy roof, it might be possible to discover tell tale signs of a previous keel mounted mast. Look for an old aluminum mast retainer on the keel.

The older Ty Weekenders had two teak grates in the sole, one in the cockpit area and the other directly under the opened cuddy hatch and over the eyebolt in the keel. I'm not positively certain that the next item is etched in stone or not. However, I don't seem to remember any Tys from the dealer being factory wired. Sure, many Tys had lights but I think that they might have been add ons, maybe not. My #42 Ty was wired at a later date.

I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to see if there is a scuffed out area at the upper stb'd side of the transom where a hull number might have been at an earlier time. Caveat emptor. I hope some of this might help.

Have a splendid weekend
OJ
:D Zaida, that's for you. Thanks
:wink:
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Verifying trus vintage of Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Peter,

I forgot to mention one important thing concerning the older Ty Weekender hulls. From the onset of construction up to, at least hull #42,, the early cuddy cabins had no port holes.

As I have previously mentioned in an earlier post, I own Ty Weekender hulls #42 and #52. Right about the time between when these two hulls were made, radical changes were being made in the construction of the Tys.

#42 came from the factory with the original two piece bronze outboard motor mount which was fastened through the fantail. Hull #52 came with an adjustible height mount which was mounted to the transom.

#42 had no cockpit drains. Any water in the cockpit ran through a floor grate and into the bilge. #52 had a raised sole and cockpit drains which passed any water through seacocks to outside of the hull.

#42 has a keel stepped mast. #52 has a tabernacle mounted mast.

#42 has no port lights. #52 has two ports, one on either side.

#42 has full length cockpit benches made of teak slats. #52 has full length benches atop enclosed storage compartments.

So, as you can see, there have been many changes made during that narrow time frame between when hull #42 was made and when they built hull #52. Each later year there seemed to be other improvements made, some subtle, some more pronounced.

FWIW
OJ