CD36 aft lazarette

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Russell

CD36 aft lazarette

Post by Russell »

Since my mast has been pulled out for rigging and wiring, I have very much been enjoying how much easier it is to work in and get in the aft lazarette without the backstay in the way. This has led me to considering modifying the lazarette hatch. I am thinking of removing the hinges all together and putting latches on it so opening it is more actually unlatching it and removing the hatch all together. Latches of course would be some sort of secured latches so capsize or whatever would not mean losing the hatch.

Would love to hear others thoughts and opinions on this idea.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
David van den Burgh

Hatch

Post by David van den Burgh »

Russell,

I think my vote would be for a way of retaining the hatch when it's open rather than removing it altogether. In any significant weather, you're going to be forced to work with one hand while hanging on with the other - something the current arrangement allows you to do. Beyond that, you're adding extra steps: undo the first latch, then the second, remove the hatch, find a place to set it so it won't slide around, retrieve your gear, retrieve the hatch, etc. Seems like a lot of extra work when you should be focusing on other things. Also, that's a fairly hefty piece of fiberglass to be heaving around one-handed in all but calm conditions. And in calm conditions, does it really matter if it's a bit more difficult to get into the lazarette?

David (the younger)
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Post by Parfait's Provider »

While I agree that the lazarette hatch is a pain, I don't think that having it loose at sea is a good idea. Perhaps the hinge pins could be changed out for removable pins?

We use a cord between the latch tang and the stern rail to hold the cover up. Something that would mount on the backstay and snap over the edge of the hatch cover might be more convenient.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Russell

Post by Russell »

I certainly wouldnt want to have it loose ever. What I was thinking is more like removing the hinges and replacing with latches on either side that lock down. But David makes a good point that lifting and removing it at sea with that setup may not be a good idea. Removable hinge pins is a good idea though, so while at sea it works as normal, but in port I can easily remove the whole hatch if I want to.

Holding it up isnt the problem though, I just quickly rig up something with a rope on the stern rail to hold it open. Its more that with the backstay there and the limited amount it can be opened. Right now with the mast off I am being spoiled by how easy it is to get in and around in there when I can open the hatch all the way. Considering my autopilot is mounted in there, half my house battery bank and my propane locker, its good to be able to easily access it when needed.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)