water ponding on CD25 deck

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Trey

water ponding on CD25 deck

Post by Trey »

Wow, high teck B-Board.

Anyone else experiencing this...some standing water on the deck between the cabin and the toerail? There doesn't seem to be much (any) outboard camber here. I normally only get this on my starboard deck, probably just due to my misbalanced loading of gear. This cannot be good for the teak and and I have to be carefult that no lines are left in the pool.

Any thoughts/solution...or "just deal with it, Sponge-Bob" comments?

Thanks,
Trey
ronellis
Location: Starry Eyes - CD25 #448 (Dad's Boat) - Port Aransas, TX

CD 25 side-deck sagging

Post by ronellis »

Trey,

There has been a bit of discussion about that here recently. Do a search on 'hogging' or 'sagging' and you'll get some good info.

I've got the problem, too on my 1976 CD25. I've yet to address it...

Good luck, and if you do come up with a plan, please share it here!

Ron
Trey

Terminology is everything!

Post by Trey »

Thanks. In a way I am comforted that others have noticed the problem. It is good to not be alone. I like the jacking idea. fiberglass does have memory (I was an engineer for 8 years before lawschool). I think the key to jacking is spreading the load, as not to make it a point load. I'd like to see some photos of the jacking application.

"Hogging"...who'ld have thunk it?
DanaVin
Location: Cape Dory 25, "Gladys Erzella", San Diego Bay--1977, Hull #541

Simple solution

Post by DanaVin »

Hi,
I have noticed that also on mine. I put a small piece (about 2' long) of 1/4" rope on deck and let it hang over the side. It absorbs the water which rises over the gunnel and drips off the end into the slip. I was using a rag but the rope looks better....like it belongs there.
I didn't want to do anything major to correct it. So far, after a day, the deck is dry and stays that way until the next rain.
Thanks
DanaVin
chasn_sunset
CD25 #484
Poulsbo, WA

Standing water

Post by chasn_sunset »

There are some scupper holes in the toe rail on mine, I'm not sure whether they are original or were drilled after the fact. They do a minimal job of draining away water collecting back in the corner by the combing.
Dan P.
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Clear the coaming scuppers first

Post by Roy J. »

Before you do anything as radical as jacking, look along the outboard base of the coamings, just aft of the forward corner that connects to the coach house. You will find an angled scupper molded into the glass that allows water to run down to the cockpit seat drains, thence to the cockpit drains. I cleared mine with a garden hose and by checking them periodically have eliminated any and all pooling in the area, either forward or aft of the coaming. There are also 2 scuppers in the toe rails, one a little fore of the winch, another a little aft. Check those as well. It seems pretty unlikely that there is that much shape distortion in the bridgedeck model CD-25's (post 1973). Good luck.
Roy Jacobowitz
ronellis
Location: Starry Eyes - CD25 #448 (Dad's Boat) - Port Aransas, TX

Post by ronellis »

Hmmm...

No such scuppers in my coamings, or cockpit seat drains either. Mine's a '76 CD25, do you suppose these were added on later models?

As an alternative to jacking, I've considering putting drains (holes) in the coamings and drains in the outside corners of the bridgedeck since water pools there, too.

Does anyone have a picture of this feature on a CD25? I'd love to see how it looks.
Statue of Liberty play
It only works once
Don't throw it away
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Seat drains and coaming scuppers are later additions

Post by Roy J. »

Sorry Ron. The side deck drainage system (!) was a later addition. John Ring and Carter Brey's websites have pretty good histories of the CD-25 that document the changes over the years. My boat, #625 made in 1978, has bronze drains in the foreward outboard corners of the cockpit seats that drain through a 1" hose down to a bronze outlet just above the scuppers on the foreward ends of the cockpit floor. Clearly Cape Dory thought your idea of adding drainage was a good one. :idea:
Roy Jacobowitz
Trey

Thanks for comments

Post by Trey »

I like the idea of hanging a line and using as a wick. Thanks DanaVin. I am going to give that a try, being that it is the least invasive. Wind Song is hull 667, 1978. So she has a bridgedeck. The minor sag I am experiencing is not too terrible. I did some searching and looked at a few pics of jacking. While I admit, as an engineer, I like the idea of jacking, but I do not agree with the memory theory of fibreglass. I hesitate to use the analogy of the windows in historic buildings, since obviously that is a very different type of glass, but also my experience is that the any memory is short lived. I am pretty sure fibreglass has more of a creep/fluid character.

S. Calder's "Falcon", out in CO, has about as good a jacking device as a d.i.y.(er) could fabricate, and he has noticed improvement. In my opinion, transferring load from one area to another, especially within the structure of a fibreglass boat, might cause unexpected problems down the road. The one great thing Calder has going for him is the overall strength and density of CD(s). If you were to try and jack a much lighter J24, you would certainly see more problems and you would see them in a shorter perior of time. As for the CDs, short term problems might be entryway widening, and gelcoat pressure cracks. Long-term...the CD will hold up fine. We all sag a bit after a few years go buy.

I think the line over the rail and a bit of cleaning (thnx for the reminder Roy J....you trying to tell me my girl is dirty? :? )...shoud do the trick.

BTW: Roy J. Congrats on taking the helm of Soverign...now Auburn. John's website pretty much got me hooked on the idea of owning a CD25. I have a ways to go, to get Windsong up to speed with the likes of the east coast beauties (Mary Ellen and Auburn...amoung others). Perhaps someday you'll find my website and Wind Song will sparkle (with clean drainage holes in her coamings) I'll be sure to take a special photo of just that, so keep an eye out!

Thanks again everyone!!!