CD 27 Holding Tank

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob

CD 27 Holding Tank

Post by Bob »

My CD 27 currently has a bladder holding tank in the space behind the head. This was put in to meet code, but isn't very functional. I'd like to replace it, and was wondering where others have their tanks. It looks like the original tank might have been located under the port settee. Is this correct?

I'm starting to think that making a fiberglass tank to fit either space would give me the most capacity. As best I can figure, I could get about 11-12 gallons in the area behind the head. The area under the settee could probably hold more, but seems pretty shallow. I've seen boats advertised with 15 gallons of capacity. Is this the capacity people are getting with a tank under the settee?

I'd also be interested in hearing from anyone who's replaced a tank either with something "off-the-shelf", or with a custom made tank.

Thanks,
Bob
CD 27
Everett, WA
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

CD27 holding tank

Post by Kurt »

Bob,
You are correct in assuming the holding tank fits under the port settee. It's probably 12-15 gallons...don't know for sure. I've had problems with liquid entering the vent line when heeling. And once the vent gets liquid in it, odors in the cabin become a problem. I'm still trying to figure out how to vent the tank properly.
Kurt
John R.
Florida

custom built

Post by John R. »

Bob,

Some time ago I built a custom tank to replace the original Kracor 24 gallon HDPE bow tank in my CD30. It is a reasonable project and if done properly you will wind up with a far stronger and better tank than any HDPE or flex tank that I have ever seen. I am not familiar with the areas in the 27 that you describe so I can't make any suggestions to you as far as configuration and that sort of thing.

I constructed the last tank out of 1/2" marine ply and West epoxy in conjuction with epi-glass and a couple different fillers like collodial silica and microlight. The tank was also mechanically fastened with stainless fasteners. It uses bronze input and output barbs and twin bronze vents. It was finish painted with Sikkens 2 part urethane. I know somewhere in the deep archives of this board you will find a more detailed explanation of how I built this tank. You can contact me via the Private Meassage feature on this board for more details of what I did or post additional questions you may have. Remember this tank was for a CD30 bow tank replacement, 24 gallons. You should have no problem in building a excellent tank in your 27 as long as you use the right materials and pay attention to details.
John D.
CD27 #105
Annapolis, Maryland

Post by John D. »

A previous owner of my 1978 CD27 #105 had a fiberglass holding tank installed between the head and the port side hull, and enclosed behind a teak panel, with a storage shelf on top. The tank is shaped to fit the available space, and holds about 12 gallons before the "tank full" light turns on, and 14 total. The pumpout is on deck directly above the tank, and there also is a macerator with a seacock for offshore use (it uses a keyed switch). It really is a first class job. The work was done by J. Gordon & Co., Inc., in Annapolis, Md., 410-263-0054. It cost $1,282.20 in 1995.
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

I did some research on this over the last couple of years - my CD27 has a 6 gallon tank under the port V-berth, just forward of the head. This is far too small for a family of four to even spend the weekend on the boat in no-discharge Rhode Island.

There is a plastic tank out there somewhere for the port settee - Kracor, I think - but I have lost the info. I planned to build a glass tank using some fiberglass sheets that we had in the shop, but never got around to it.

If you decide to buy a plastic tank, let me know - the overall cost goes down as the quantity goes up.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Bill Goldsmith

Sealand 15HTS-HRZ

Post by Bill Goldsmith »

Several years ago I replaced the holding tank on Second Chance with a Sealand tank that was a close replacement shape-wise. I ordered it through Defender, Inc.

The original tank was under the port v-berth forward of the head bulkhead against the hull. The original tank had an old built-in macerator pump that was long rusted and abandoned (and leaking!!!!).

I believe the tank below is the same one I installed, although the Sealand brand "Dometic" appears to be new and different. If you're considering using this tank in that space, you should measure to be sure. I had to do some grinding of the liner opening and partial removal of one liner panel to accept the installation of the tank.

Bill Goldsmith
CD32#2
Loonsong

P.O. Second Chance
CD27#173

http://www.sealandtechnology.com/produc ... asp?pid=27
fenixrises

holding tank

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Bob,

I just removed a holding tank from my CD 28. Near as I can tell it is brand new and the PO stated that he had the entire head replumbed quite recently.

The tank is the type that mounts in the forward "V" of the v-berth.
It is 18 gallons. It has a vent, inlet and discharge fitting installed.
This tank has a special 1 1/2" fitting for pump out tha reaches the tank bottom.

For the dimensions check here:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?item=456

If you are interested let me know.

fenixrisesATyahoo.com

Fred Bickum
Bob C.

Post by Bob C. »

Thanks everyone to everyone for the replies and suggestions. I'm still trying to decide if I want to go behind the head, or beneath the port settee. Either way, I'll probably build a custom tank to maximize the volume. If anyone has a picture of the port settee installation, or can describe the location of the fittings, that would help.

I did manage to find a reference in the owners manual that I had previously missed that indicates that the boat did indeed come with a 15 gallon tank.

Bob

P.S. I just received some new instrument covers and switch boot covers for my Data Marine depth sounder and knot meter from DMI http://www.dmimarine.com/parts/index.html. The service was fast and the covers are a perfect fit. I was thinking about replacing these instruments because the depth sounder was acting up. I re-soldered the connections to the RCA phono jack and things seem to be working well now. I guess I'll get another season out of these original instruments.