Old Thread Shown amongst Current Threads

Discussion about how to use this board's software features and the CDSOA's website in general

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Old Thread Shown amongst Current Threads

Post by Parfait's Provider »

I was a bit surprised to see the thread http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=11311
from 2003 in the list of current threads.

Not really an issue for me, but it is curious and, perhaps, indicative of something that needs to be addressed.

Thanks,
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
bilofsky
Location: CD 30 Flybridge "Golden Phoenix" on San Francisco Bay

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Post by bilofsky »

You've noticed a feature of the new board.

Threads (or topics) are listed in order of the time of the last post in the thread, newest first. So whenever anyone responds to a thread, no matter how old, it goes to the top of the list.

(Announcements and stickies always come first.)

This makes it easy for people to see new posts, since they're always at the top.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

I should have known that, I used to be in Marketing

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Walt,

Actually, this time I do agree. I failed to look at the list and see the recent addition to the thread. Is there an option to list postings in reverse chronological order?

Thanks,
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
bilofsky

Re: I should have known that, I used to be in Marketing

Post by bilofsky »

Parfait's Provider wrote:Is there an option to list postings in reverse chronological order?Thanks,
Not really. but the board doesn't remember them so you have to keep re-selecting them. So they're not real effective.

But there are plenty of hints around to direct you to the new posts. See this Viewing Recent Posts thread.

- Walt
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

"View Posts Since Last Visit"

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Walt,
A question. You wrote and mentioned to me the other day about viewing new posts (similar to the view button on the old board). The little icon of Realization tells you when there are new posts. A couple of times when I come back to the board and I'm still logged in (i.e. I never logged out when I left) and I see the new post icon of Realization I get a message saying "no new topics or posts fit your criteria" when I click the "view post since last visit" line. Other times 5 or 6 come up. I "think" but I'm not sure that the "view posts since last visit" line only works if you have logged out your last visit. If you DON'T log out, and you return hours later, you may see the Realization icon indicating new posts, but it considers it the SAME visit since you never logged out.
Am I right or wrong in this?
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
bilofsky

Post by bilofsky »

Warren

I haven't read the code, so I don't know for sure. I believe that if you don't do anything for five minutes or more, it's the same as if you had logged out. You can see this by going to the main page - it tells you what it considers to be the time of your last visit.

I would hope that the new post icons and the links would all be working off the same version of "last visit". But maybe not.

I encourage you to keep track of what you see happening and see if you can figure out what the pattern is.

Regards,

Walt
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Walt Bilofsky wrote:Warren

I haven't read the code, so I don't know for sure. I believe that if you don't do anything for five minutes or more, it's the same as if you had logged out. You can see this by going to the main page - it tells you what it considers to be the time of your last visit.

I would hope that the new post icons and the links would all be working off the same version of "last visit". But maybe not.

I encourage you to keep track of what you see happening and see if you can figure out what the pattern is.

Regards,

Walt
Walt,
Something is amiss and my previous post was wrong. I logged out after I wrote that post. I came back just a few minutes ago and had to log back in (okay). There were "new post (Realization) icons next to a few subjects on the Forum index...which included your post just previous to this one I am writing. I clicked on the new posts since last visit line and I got that blasted message "No new topics fitting your criteria." Perhaps a demon got into the wiring. You might try it yourself and see what happens.

Thanks Walt.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)