Cape dory 28 powerboat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Robert Duffey

Cape dory 28 powerboat

Post by Robert Duffey »

This is my second posting of this message, I did not receive any replies the first time..can anyone help me out here?

Hi!

My wife and I are selling our beautiful Nonsuch 30 and we are looking for a small trawler. We are especially taken with the CD 28 trawler.
Specifically we are looking at a 1984 cruiser, no flybridge. She is in fairly decent shape, and has a 6 cyl Westerbeke diesel with about 970 hours on it. I would appreciate any tips, things to look for and/or any other concerns about this vessel anyone would care to provide. Also, any info on fuel consumption, speed, seakeeping ablility or any other aspect of the boat.

In advance, thanks very much!

Bob Duffey
South Pasadena, FL>

RDuffey656@aol.com
Jim Sullivan

Re: Cape dory 28 powerboat

Post by Jim Sullivan »

Bob:

Please see following link for the Cape Dory Registry:

http://www.toolworks.com/capedory/registry.htm

You may want to contact some owners of the CD 28 powerboat from the CD Registry directly regarding your questions. Good luck.

Jim

Robert Duffey wrote: This is my second posting of this message, I did not receive any replies the first time..can anyone help me out here?

Hi!

My wife and I are selling our beautiful Nonsuch 30 and we are looking for a small trawler. We are especially taken with the CD 28 trawler.
Specifically we are looking at a 1984 cruiser, no flybridge. She is in fairly decent shape, and has a 6 cyl Westerbeke diesel with about 970 hours on it. I would appreciate any tips, things to look for and/or any other concerns about this vessel anyone would care to provide. Also, any info on fuel consumption, speed, seakeeping ablility or any other aspect of the boat.

Bob Duffey
South Pasadena, FL>

ateaNOSPAM@att.net
Bob Duffey

Post by Bob Duffey »

Thanks very much Jim!

Bob
Jim Sullivan wrote: Bob:

Please see following link for the Cape Dory Registry:

http://www.toolworks.com/capedory/registry.htm

You may want to contact some owners of the CD 28 powerboat from the CD Registry directly regarding your questions. Good luck.

Jim

Robert Duffey wrote: This is my second posting of this message, I did not receive any replies the first time..can anyone help me out here?

Hi!
Robert Duffey wrote: My wife and I are selling our beautiful Nonsuch 30 and we are looking for a small trawler. We are especially taken with the CD 28 trawler.
Robert Duffey wrote: In advance, thanks very much!
Robert Duffey wrote: Bob Duffey
South Pasadena, FL>

Rduffey656@aol.com
john edwards

Post by john edwards »

Hi Bob:

We too are sailors, our current boat is an 86 Cal 33. This summer we bought a CD28FB and are reallt going thru her this winter, have her in heated inside storage.

Most CD Power boats have either a 275 gas, 160/165 Volvo or the 200 turbo Volvo, which seems to be the engine of preference.

What size is the Westerbeake? Sounds like it might be on the small size, but if you're content doing 7 or 8 knots...

I've never been on the H20 in one of these, we bought ours on the hard, but I'm repeatedly told that they are great little sea boats; we shall see!

Have a good snoopy survey done...

These boats, the crusier & FB seem to really hold their value. @ came on Yachtworld.com recently and lasted only several weeks, as they had the larger engines. The smaller engine ones seem to take a LONG time to sell.

Course, if you have a smaller than 160 engine, that might be the incentive for a lower price, factoring in a nice new yanmar!

Good luck

JE
Amherst, MA

Hi!

Bob Duffey
South Pasadena, FL>

je1449@aol.com
Bill - Dulcie

Post by Bill - Dulcie »

Bob,

Currently own CD 28FB w/Volvo TAMD41A, on Chesapeake. W/200 HP, I cruise about 13-14kts.

If you are satisfied w/10 kt cruise, she's a great boat w/165HP. Shoulders seas aside, tracks well in following seas, tough as nails -- built like a tank. Had I to do it over, I'd buy same boat w/o flybridge. I rarely use FB, instruments up there are exposed and therefore high-maintenance, extra topside weight makes her "rolly" in a beam sea and fair amount of added wind resistance cuts fuel efficiency.

900 hours is essentially just broken in. W/most good diesels, including Wester., you can figure 5000 hours before rebuild if properly maintained. It takes a lot of cruising to get to 5000! 90% of diesel problems are fuel related. Mind your filters (not all marinas dispense clean fuel.) Also, beware of biocides. Good filters will take care of biogrowth suspended in fuel, but when you put biocides in, you kill the critters and they drop to the bottom of the tank as gunk, building up over time to catastrophe.

All in all, after 17 years, Dulcie is as good as new in hull and fittings. No major substantive repairs, all current glitches cosmetic (cushion foam, interior teak finish., etc.)

Accept that she sleeps two, dines four, and drinks six - no more.

Happy to answer any questions at indiasix@direcway.com

Bill
Jack Benson

Post by Jack Benson »

Bob Duffey: Today I posted my CD 28 Trawler for sale on the bulletin board. I've had it for six years, cruised both coasts of Florida, and my latest trip was to the Chesapeake Bay. The boat's in great shape, so you may want to take a look at this one before making a decision. I'd be pleased to talk with you about CD trawlers in general or my boat, if you care to contact me (305-872-4694 or keysjoyce@hotmail.com). Jack Benson, Florida Keys.

Robert Duffey wrote: ...we are looking for a small trawler. We are especially taken with the CD 28 trawler...

keysjoyce@hotmail.com
Bob Duffey

Post by Bob Duffey »

Hi

Thanks to all those who responded to my query; in addition we are now looking at a 1986 FB model in Maine with the Volvo engine. I too am concerned about the top hamper caused by the FB, I wonder if that should be a deal killer? The boat is in nice shape and has had much recent shop work done..it sure is a nice looking vessel!

Thanks again

RDuffey656@aol.com
Atle Moe

Post by Atle Moe »

We bought our CD28 powerboat last yr and we love her more and more. Great couple boat. Check topsides for cracks, windows for leaks, and of course drive train. We have Volvo 200 hp diesel. Have played with propellers and top out at 18-19 knots . Still some twaeking to do, but i enjoy that. We cruise out of Tampa Bay.

Hi!

Bob Duffey
South Pasadena, FL>

Atle@StarsSignatures.com
john walden

Post by john walden »

I have own my 28 flybridge cruiser since new in 1987. 165 hp Volvo diesel. I had a transmission problem the first year, but Volvo fixed it for no cost. I jsut had the aftercooler, heat exchanger and oil cooler soda blasted and pressure tested after 3000 hours. First time any major work on engine. Replaced exhaust elbow this past summer.

My wife and I cruise from Long Island to Nantucket ever summer and never have had a bad trip.

Great boat, wouldn't trade it for another one at this point, very economical- 2-3 gph.