Barrier Coats

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Russ Campbell

Barrier Coats

Post by Russ Campbell »

I own a Cape Dory 28 "Charisma" which we sail on LakeChamplain here in Vermont. My question is has anyone out there ever barrier coated their bottom? Iwas wondering if anyone had information on how much they used and also whatkind they used.

Schrambell@aol.com
Jon Turgeon

Re: Barrier Coats

Post by Jon Turgeon »

I own a CD 31 and am from Bennington VT (but sail out of R.I.) When we bought the boat I did a barrier coat job(and what a job) I ended up using 2.5 gallons of the Interlux 2000 and then Trinidad bottom paint. I found that a scraper and a small power sander did a real good job taking the old paint off( tedious though) If you have any questions feel free to write.
Aboard Evergreen

evrgrn@sover.net
Russ Campbell

Post by Russ Campbell »

Jon Turgeon wrote: I own a CD 31 and am from Bennington VT (but sail out of R.I.) When we bought the boat I did a barrier coat job(and what a job) I ended up using 2.5 gallons of the Interlux 2000 and then Trinidad bottom paint. I found that a scraper and a small power sander did a real good job taking the old paint off( tedious though) If you have any questions feel free to write.
Aboard Evergreen
I ended up using 12 qts of VC-Tar which did a very nice job. I'll know better in a week or so when she's hauled but I think the performance has been better.

schrambell@aol.com
Georeg F Probolus

Post by Georeg F Probolus »

Russ Campbell wrote:
Jon Turgeon wrote: I own a CD 31 and am from Bennington VT (but sail out of R.I.) When we bought the boat I did a barrier coat job(and what a job) I ended up using 2.5 gallons of the Interlux 2000 and then Trinidad bottom paint. I found that a scraper and a small power sander did a real good job taking the old paint off( tedious though) If you have any questions feel free to write.
Aboard Evergreen
I ended up using 12 qts of VC-Tar which did a very nice job. I'll know better in a week or so when she's hauled but I think the performance has been better.
I used INTERLUX 2000/2001 with INTERLUX MICRON CSC. It has held up very well for 5 years and still going. Will pull the boat this week.

wkbg71a@prodigy.com