trucking a CD 28 Flybridge

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John R

trucking a CD 28 Flybridge

Post by John R »

Does anyone know if a 28 Flybridge can be trucked without removing the flybridge?
What is the height above the water for the 28 flybridge?
Does anyone have any advice on trucking these boats?
Thanks,
John R

jcloudr@gotricounty.com
Ken Coit

Re: trucking a CD 28 Flybridge

Post by Ken Coit »

John,

Looks to me like the boat draws nearly 3 ft. and that the fly bridge windshield is 9 ft. above the water for a total of 12 ft. Not much room for a trailer under and bridge clearance above. Depending on the route, you might get lucky.

Check out the link below to scale your own guess.

Keep on sailing,

Ken
S/V Parfait
Raleigh, NC
John R wrote: Does anyone know if a 28 Flybridge can be trucked without removing the flybridge?
What is the height above the water for the 28 flybridge?
Does anyone have any advice on trucking these boats?
Thanks,
John R

CD 28 Power Yacht Specs.
parfaitNOSPAM@nc.rr.com
Walt Bilofsky

Post by Walt Bilofsky »

John R wrote: Does anyone know if a 28 Flybridge can be trucked without removing the flybridge?
My 30 Flybridge was trucked up to San Francisco after I bought it in San Diego.

The bridge stayed on. The plastic wind deflector and the steering wheel had to be removed.

- Walt Bilofsky

bilofsky@toolworks.com
Mark Cline

Post by Mark Cline »

I had my CD 28 FB moved from Punta Gorda, FL to Annapolis last year. The bridge had to be removed to meet the 13' clearance restrictions on I-95. Removal and reinstallation of the bridge was not that difficult. Of course, a crane is required to remove and reload the structure. It afforded me to opportunity rebed things up there, remove the teak handrails for refinishing, and change the throttle and shift cables. Be sure you seal the conduit to the wheelhouse well along with the mounting holes before traveling. You do not want water damage in the wheelhouse headliner. With proper padding, the bridge fits nicely into the cockpit and ladder and rails in the wheel house.

If you'd like any additional information, please feel free to drop me an email at ma.cline@juno.com

Mark Cline
CD 28 FB #219
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD

ma.cline@juno.com
sisubob
"Elephant Shoes"
Huntington, NY

removing CD 28 Fly bridge for transport

Post by sisubob »

Mark,
I am looking repower the boat and need to remove the bridge to move the boat (blown motor). I saw in the owners manual that there are threaded plates under the roof (above the liner) that the screws that secure the bridge screw into. What keeps them from falling out? What type of bedding did you use when you reattached the bridge? Do you have any other advise? Please advise...

Bob McDowell
CD 28 FB #157
"Elephant Shoes"
631-858-0247 H-Phone
Bob McDowell & Liz Foley
CD 28 FB, Hull #157
"Elephant Shoes"
Huntington, NY
- Cruising & Fishing Long Island Sound.
AnnapolisMark

Power 28 Flybridge Removal

Post by AnnapolisMark »

Bob:

I'm not sure what holds the plates under the roof. However, they did not move when I removed and reinstalled the bridge. I sealed the joints with standard Lifecaulk. I would not recommend 5200 or anything else permanent. While it is down, it's a great opportunity to refinish the wood and replace cables if needed. Sorry to hear about the engine.

If you need have further questions, please feel free to drop me an email.

Thanks, Mark

Power CD28 #219
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD
cd28brandywine@verizon.net
Ned Kroeker

removing engine from CD28 power

Post by Ned Kroeker »

I know that the Volvo TAMD41 can be removed WITHOUT taking the cabin roof off. Requires removing parts on the sides of the engine and the engine mount brackets, and using a long support arm on a front end loader or similar...and a skilled machine operator to insert the arm through the cabin door opening (door must be removed), hoisting the engine, rotating slightly, and pulling out the cabin door.