Need advice on hull-deck joint Typhoon 19

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

marty anderson

Need advice on hull-deck joint Typhoon 19

Post by marty anderson »

I am thinking about buying an older Typhoon weekender. It has a rubber/plastic rub (toe) rail, and the hull side has separated from the hull-deck joint under the rub rail for about 24" on the port side near the winch placement. I'm wondering how tough it is to remove the rub rail, repair the hull-deck joint, and then buy a new rub rail to seal the whole thing up again.

Other question...I assume later Typhoons are self-bailing. Is this true? Anyone know what year that started.
Thanks much.

martyand@tiac.net
Michelle d'Aoust

Re: Need advice on hull-deck joint Typhoon 19

Post by Michelle d'Aoust »

Marty: I've just completed a real major overhaul of my Typhoon weekender--stem to stern. She suffered ice damage when she couln't be pulled in time by the yard. To answer your question, I've not heard of an original Typhoon with a rubber toe rail. Are you talking about the bumper strip. It's possible that it was replaced at some time. Mine had two seperate teak pieces, a toe rail attached from the top and thru bolted and a teak bumper strip that was screwed and bunged to the hull side. It also overlapped the teak toe rail an inch or so to cover and protect the joint. The hull/deck joint is a critical area on any boat. You might want to consider having it surveyed before you go any further. Good luck!!
Regards, Michelle...

marty anderson wrote: I am thinking about buying an older Typhoon weekender. It has a rubber/plastic rub (toe) rail, and the hull side has separated from the hull-deck joint under the rub rail for about 24" on the port side near the winch placement. I'm wondering how tough it is to remove the rub rail, repair the hull-deck joint, and then buy a new rub rail to seal the whole thing up again.

Other question...I assume later Typhoons are self-bailing. Is this true? Anyone know what year that started.
Thanks much.

madaoust@ix.netcom.com