Advice Wanted for New CD Typhoon Owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jessica Morton

Advice Wanted for New CD Typhoon Owner

Post by Jessica Morton »

A friend and I just bought a 1975(?) Weekender from Community Boating on the Charles River, Boston. We plan to take the summer off and sail up the coast of Maine. The boat was stripped to the bone, and we are both first-time boat owners. The boat has rigging and new sails, but that's it. We have gotten a 4 hp motor LS, and are looking for a mate to the OB motor cleat on the stern. We are taking care of the basics (compass, VHF, charts, safety gear) but some concerns are the electrical wiring,a cooking stove, anchor size, water tanks and dinghy (inflatable?). As I said, we're new to this...are there any other things we should be thinking about?

jmorton@ensr.com
Jerry Hammernik

Re: Advice Wanted for New CD Typhoon Owner

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

Sounds like a fun summer! I'd offer two thoughts. I've been using a two burner Origo non pressurized alcohol stove for a number of years now. I really like it. Safe, fast, and with the gimbal mounts, useful underway. I've always used a Danforth anchor on my CD25 but last year I dragged 7 times in one day in weedy conditions. Friends with Bruce anchors stayed put. I'm adding a Bruce to my inventory this year. Good Luck!

dauntles@execpc.com