CD22(D?) - General Questions

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Gavin Adams

CD22(D?) - General Questions

Post by Gavin Adams »

Well, I'm almost the new, proud owner of a CD22D. At least I think it's a D model since it has a new Yanmar 7HP diesel and electric options.

What I'm interested in, is what components should I investigate and/or replace? Being an '81, I was told to check for osmosis and any hull problems. She gets pulled tomorrow for this final check, followed by a power wash and painting. A couple experienced friends have checked out the rigging, sails, and mast, and say that the top-side is in good condition, except for the wood trim needing some work (but no cracks).

I'm pretty amped about getting the boat, and for some strange reason, actually look forward to putting time and money into her!

--- Gavin
Southampton, Bermuda

gaa@hopi.com
Dana Arenius

Re: CD22(D?) - General Questions

Post by Dana Arenius »

Congraulations Gavin,

You will find that the CD22D is a very fine boat. The "D" is the diesel version vs. CD22 which is the outboard motor version.

About your haulout......

*Do look for blisters. Take it from one who knows...they can and do occur on Cape Dorys. It has been my experience and observation, however, that the type of blister that they do get (when they do) is between the gel coat and laminate. I have never seen them in the laminate on a Cape Dory. That is good news. I had hundreds on the bottom of mine two years after it was built (1985, CD26). That number diminished drastically after two years where this season I have only a handfull after being in the water for 3.5 years. Being a "81" I would be concerned if the bottom was completely covered but not concerned if a very few were present and the boat has been in the water for sometime. Sometimes by looking closely at the "fairness" of the hull one can see if previous blister repair had been done and the approximate number. With a good repair job however you will not be able to see this.

*Check the condition of that shaft, thru hulls and prop...i.e. corrosion, worn cutlass bearing etc.
*Check for worn rudder... i.e. a loose fit into the support at the bottom of the keel and a loose "tube bearing fit" where the rudder shaft comes up thru the boat.

Honestly......you will most likely not find any problems at all. Enjoy the experience of the purchase process. They are fine boats and I hope "she" will provide you with many hours/days/weeks/years of enjoyable sailing...

P.S. Don't forget to ask if the Owners Manual is still around and for some model years a Half Model of that boat was issued to the orginal owner with the boat.

Dana

arenius@jlab.org
Jon F. Larson

Post by Jon F. Larson »

Gavin,

I think you've got a fine boat there. I owned a CD22 ouboard for
two years and enjoyed every bit of it. We did add a dodger to the
boat, 22 feet seems small, but that boat carried it well and it
really made the boat more enjoyable for us. I personally liked
the outboard version as the internal storage area, including the
cooler chest where the motor is mounted in your boat, was really
good for this little cruiser. I did do some coastal offshore work
with mine and she was great, you can have confidence in that boat,
assuming there have been no fundamental problems that have developed
or been built into the boat over the years. Given my present ability
to use my boat, I've often wished I had my old CD22 back again!

Marilyn and I are in Bermuda on an annual basis, and I always keep my
eye out for CD boats...I've never spotted a 22 out there. I think you've found a
rare one! What a GREAT place to own this boat! Enjoy!

Did she sail out on her own bottom, do you know?

Jon Larson
CD30 PERI
San Francisco Bay.

Gavin Adams wrote: Well, I'm almost the new, proud owner of a CD22D. At least I think it's a D model since it has a new Yanmar 7HP diesel and electric options.

What I'm interested in, is what components should I investigate and/or replace? Being an '81, I was told to check for osmosis and any hull problems. She gets pulled tomorrow for this final check, followed by a power wash and painting. A couple experienced friends have checked out the rigging, sails, and mast, and say that the top-side is in good condition, except for the wood trim needing some work (but no cracks).

I'm pretty amped about getting the boat, and for some strange reason, actually look forward to putting time and money into her!

--- Gavin
Southampton, Bermuda

jon9@ix.netcom.com
Gavin Adams

Post by Gavin Adams »

Dana Arenius wrote: *Do look for blisters. Take it from one who knows...they can and do occur on Cape Dorys.
Luckily, I have a couple of friends with extensive boat yard experience. It'll cost me a couple six packs, but the for the knowledge, I'll gladly pay.
Dana Arenius wrote: *Check for worn rudder... i.e. a loose fit into the support at the bottom of the keel and a loose "tube bearing fit" where the rudder shaft comes up thru the boat.
That's one I haven't been advised to check. Thanks Dana.
Dana Arenius wrote: P.S. Don't forget to ask if the Owners Manual is still around and for some model years a Half Model of that boat was issued to the orginal owner with the boat.
All the original documentation is still in the boat, including the original import slip from customs. :) The owner is not too happy that I found that, even after I was told to poke around in any nook or cranny. Hehe.

--- Gavin

gaa@hopi.com
Gavin Adams

Post by Gavin Adams »

Thanks for the info Jon. She came over via a cargo ship. As for space, I've been told that no matter what size boat I have, I'll never have enough room and will always be looking to "expand".

Now I just have to find a mooring, punt, club membership, and have my bank place a standing order for wire transfers to the marine store.

I'm really enjoying the experience. As one friend put it, "Boating in Bermuda is like a Sunday drive anywhere else."

Jon F. Larson wrote: I think you've got a fine boat there. I owned a CD22 ouboard for
two years and enjoyed every bit of it. We did add a dodger to the
boat, 22 feet seems small, but that boat carried it well and it
really made the boat more enjoyable for us. I personally liked
the outboard version as the internal storage area, including the
cooler chest where the motor is mounted in your boat, was really
good for this little cruiser. I did do some coastal offshore work
with mine and she was great, you can have confidence in that boat,
assuming there have been no fundamental problems that have developed
or been built into the boat over the years. Given my present ability
to use my boat, I've often wished I had my old CD22 back again!

Marilyn and I are in Bermuda on an annual basis, and I always keep my
eye out for CD boats...I've never spotted a 22 out there. I think you've found a
rare one! What a GREAT place to own this boat! Enjoy!

Did she sail out on her own bottom, do you know?

Jon Larson
CD30 PERI
San Francisco Bay.

Gavin Adams wrote: Well, I'm almost the new, proud owner of a CD22D. At least I think it's a D model since it has a new Yanmar 7HP diesel and electric options.

--- Gavin
Southampton, Bermuda

gaa@hopi.com