cutting a new hatch in sailboat

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

shoro1

cutting a new hatch in sailboat

Post by shoro1 »

Hello I have a cape dory 33 sailboat. I can not get access to the back of engine so my question is has anyone cut a large access hatch in the cockpit floor. My only concern is will anything warp when cutting hole. Thank You, Robert Shows
Jim Walsh

Re: cutting a new hatch in sailboat

Post by Jim Walsh »

I’m confident nothing will warp. Just cross your fingers that you don’t discover that the balsa sandwiched between the layers of glass which form your cockpit sole isn’t water saturated. Then you will have a much larger job on your hands and the installation of an access hatch will seem a simple task.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

This thread may be of interest, viewtopic.php?t=37034
I've seen pictures of aluminum Bomar hatches on boats as small as the CD28. I've considered it for my boat, but the I've been put off by the cost.
shoro1

Post by shoro1 »

Thank you for the reply I certainly agree with hoping the balsa core is dry. I have found out that many boat owners have done this with no problems depending on the core being dry or not
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

I believe I would buy another boat than cut a hole in the cockpit floor. That being said .. I'm pretty sure that pacific seacraft and island packet have done it.
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

I'll second that. I wouldn't cut a hole in the cockpit sole because I wouldn't be confident that I could properly seal it and I'd be concerned that I would weaken it.

Perhaps there could be access from the sides from inside the cabin or a cockpit locker?
Not familiar with your boat but that is how I get to the back of the engine on my boat - from the cockpit locker although it requires a bit of body contortion and a calm demeanor towards claustrophobia.

And I've considered cutting an access panel in the wall of the quarter berth to give me access to the port side of the engine but haven't needed to do that yet.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

I have a bronze 24" opening hatch that I plan to install in the sole of the cockpit in my cd36. I did something similar in my cd30
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md