Leoma at Santa Cruz Island

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JD-MDR

Leoma at Santa Cruz Island

Post by JD-MDR »

Since nobody’s posting I guess I dont have to worry about hogging the air.
I left ventura at 1430 hrs with a bearing of 216 degrees to Little Scorpion Cove. west winds the best I could do was 220 and was being driven too far east. Usually if I can stay west of that oil platform.
IMG_1553.jpeg
I can get to the cove on one tack . I ended up tacking up a couple times and arrived about 2100 hr in the dark. I anchored in my usual spot way up close in 16’. There was about 7 other boats all on single anchor. The morning usually shifts to SE and I swung a little too close to the rocks. I wasn't worried though. I’ve dove that area and its safe. This cove is really nice except when East winds blow. If its SE. the main Scorpion cove is Ok. There is a dock and the island charter brings campers etc all day long. Its always easy to get ashore. Here is a little cove about 100 yds from my anchorage
IMG_1554.jpeg
There are some really nice hiking trails. The area I went up had a trail before. I guess it got lost in the fire a few years ago. It wasn't an official trail. And we are supposed to stay on the designated trails. I didnt go very far. I made dinner and slept. There was 13 boats that night. More boats kept coming on Saturday. All these heat waves are getting everyone out on the water. I decided to head home at 1230 hr The winds were NW about 10 kts. The windvane worked well all the way at 5.5 kts. Arrived at my slip at 1730 hr.
Attachments
IMG_1561.jpeg
IMG_1558.jpeg
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
Jim Walsh

Re: Leoma at Santa Cruz Island

Post by Jim Walsh »

Quire a picturesque little cove. Is that Leoma in the distance?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
JD-MDR

Re: Leoma at Santa Cruz Island

Post by JD-MDR »

Jim Walsh wrote: Aug 11th, '24, 20:20 Quire a picturesque little cove. Is that Leoma in the distance?
Yes in the background. And on the far left in the other photo
Im thinking of going back and go around the island CcW writting up and taking photos. I really hope this forum picks up again. It was so helpfull to me
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510
JD-MDR

Re: Leoma at Santa Cruz Island II

Post by JD-MDR »

Monday I went back across and anchored in the same place st little Scorpion cove. I kayaked over to the Scorpion Anchorage
IMG_1580.jpeg
and went for a hike up the cavern loop trail and to the Potato Harbor overlook
IMG_1580.jpeg
IMG_1577.jpeg
Potato Harbor is nice in Southerly winds. Once I anchored there in light west winds at about midnight winds switched to NW it was like a washing machine in there. Worse thing was it was pitch black. No moon or stars. The compass and plotter were swinging all over. I was so scared. To keep steerage I was about half throttle. I was afraid i would run into the cliffside Luckily it wasn't foggy. I was able to see the cliffside with my flashlight and got out of there. The guide book warns about N N-NW winds to get out of there. I noticed when it is Southerly. Divers like to go there. Its all volcanic rock and lots of caves. Good for kayaking too. Here are a couple pics coming back down scorpion canyon
The park service takes good care. There are outhouses and a few water spickets but ni showers. There are kayak and scuba lessons and rentals but no snack bar so no litter. They have a museum I guess cattle and sheep were here and the y also produced wine and had olive groves. Thats all gone now. They are trying to restore it and some Bald Eagles are back.
IMG_1591. Ill pass Chinese harbor. Its just an open beach with big surge. They say its good shelter in east Santa Anas. A road comes down there. I think landing barges used to unload there. Tonight anchor ar Prisoners harbor. It has another park station. They give guided hikes in the restricted conservation area. 1/3 if the island from Prisoners east thru scorpion is open. [attachment=1]IMG_1584.jpeg
IMG_1588.jpeg
IMG_1588.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_1584.jpeg
IMG_1585.jpeg
IMG_1583.jpeg
WDM3579
MMSI 368198510