Outboard for CD25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Kerryman

Outboard for CD25

Post by Kerryman »

What size outboard is needed for CD 25 ?
Frenchy

Re: Outboard for CD25

Post by Frenchy »

I'd say a 6 hp should do just fine. My friend Chris used a 6 hp in his CD 25 as have many others. A larger motor may
be a tight squeeze and weight too is a factor when putting it in or out. - Jean -
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
bgephart

Post by bgephart »

I agree - 6HP is sufficient. I have owned my CD25 for 40 years, and used 15, 9.9, 8, and 6 HP. The big challenge now is to find a motor that will fit in the engine lazarette. The older 2 cycle 8 and 9.9 HP fit fine and work great, but 4 cycles are too big. Whatever motor you pick be sure to get a flat blade (high propulsion) propeller. My current motor is a 2016 6HP Tohatsu that I purchased new - had some issues, but it is OK.
Kerryman

Post by Kerryman »

Thankyou all for the input K
sampson57

Post by sampson57 »

I had a CD 25 and installed a 5 HP Tohatsu Sailpro propane motor in the well, after running a 6-HP Sailpro for several years. The propane motor was powerful enough and fit nicely in the well. You could even turn the head about 45 degrees to each side. The only problem I ever had (and still have) with the propane motor is that it was and is hard to start when stone cold. I now have it mounted on my CD 22.
Scott B.

Post by Scott B. »

I purchased my '78 CD25 in '06 and it came with a Merc 2-stroke 15hp. I think the previous owner sailed in Narragansett Bay where the currents could be strong and needed the extra power. However, the 15 was way too heavy to install/remove when I needed to, would only run with the hatch open to provide good ventilation, and would just barely fit in the motor well. Obviously not the best motor to use. I have since found a 5-hp, 4-stroke Honda (love those Hondas. Run very reliably) that fits in the motor well without the stinky exhaust. Plenty of power and stingy on gas. I use it just to get from launch/haul site to my mooring (5 miles). I pull it and then use a 2-hp Honda for emergency power or when pulling up to my mooring. I had a 6-hp Nissan and it fit also. However, you should check the "head" room of the motor to ensure you can shut the motor well hatch and the position of the tiller for locking security purposes. That's why I pull the 5-hp Honda after launching as the tiller prevents the hatch from closing completely. Not too much trouble for the security feeling.