Need Assistance for Winter Storage in N.E.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Need Assistance for Winter Storage in N.E.

Post by John Stone »

Hello everyone. We are hosting a French sailing couple this week. We met them through another a French sailor friend of mine. Raphael and Marielou are on the return leg of a two year Atlantic loop from France to the West Indies, the US, and back to France. This is their second Atlantic Circuit.

They will arrive in the Long Island Sound area in mid August. They are looking for a place in New England to haul out for the winter. They must fly home for family issues.

The Boat is a Jeaneu. LOA is 42’ and draft 6’.

I am asking for recommendations for boatyards in New England that can accommodate haul out and winter storage from Sept/Oct with a plan to relaunch in May 2026.

Thanks much.
Frenchy

Re: Need Assistance for Winter Storage in N.E.

Post by Frenchy »

Hi John, I will make inquiries in the New Bedford, Ma. area. - Jean
Jean - 1983 CD 33 "Grace" moored in
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
jfischgrund

Post by jfischgrund »

Is the re-launch in May of 26 or 25? There may be some places in Rhode Island that would be suitable.
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

If they are willing and able to come up the Hudson River to Catskill NY the Hop-O-Nose Marina is a good choice. They are about 110 miles north of NYC. Rates are reasonable, mast will need to be unstepped. I keep my 22 there. Popular stop for mast service for those entering or leaving the NYS canal system. Owners name is Sean… 518-943-4640.
Steve Dawson
CD22
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

I've been happy storing my boat at Norwalk Cove Marina in Norwalk, CT on Long Island Sound these past 15 years.
Outdoor Winter Storage last season was $84.50 per foot LOA. That includes haul out, power wash, storage and launch in the spring.
They do not require mast be taken down. They allow you to cover your own boat.
They allow you to do most any type of maintenance yourself. There is electric and water available in the spring.
They have a full-service maintenance department and sail rigging dept. should you need them to do work.
They handle some large boats such as the Hudson River Sloop Clearwater but most of the boats are recreational boats and 40 footers are no problem.
It is a mile or so walk to the Metro North commuter train.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi John - I sent a P.M. - Jean
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

John, I also sent a PM.
Jeff
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Thanks everyone. I past all the info on to them. They left Beaufort, NC Thursday at 1200. They arrived in Norfolk VA this morning (Saturday) after an uneventful rounding of Cape Hatteras. Light southerly winds. Sailed the whole way.

A charming delightful couple. In their early 30's. Raphael taught sailing in France and she was a student. Perfectly suited to a voyaging life. Emphasis is sailing. Though they desire a more rugged boat they are making do with what they can afford for now. Boat (SV Yola) is well put together. Clean uncluttered and not too complicated. Wind pilot wind vane. Four solar panels. Wind generator. Fridge. Hard dinghy. Ship's cat. What more do you need? I hope you meet them up your way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by John Stone on Jul 11th, '24, 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Very nice boat, John - though not my cup of tea. I sent a PM- there's a yard in R.I. that can take them, if they haven't already made
arrangements. - Jean
Padanaram Harbor
Massachusetts
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote: Jul 6th, '24, 17:05 Ship's car.
Okay, I’ll bite…what is a ships car? Perhaps a ships “chat”?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Ha. Ship's cat. They got him as a kitten in St Barts during their first Atlantic Circle in 2019. His name is Filou (trickster).