Marinco 4" solar fan

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

CapeDory22

Marinco 4" solar fan

Post by CapeDory22 »

My CD22 is sealed nice and tight... so, it's 100 degrees inside when it's only 70 degrees ambient. I'm thinking about adding a Marinco solar fan like I had on my Ty. But, that one was installed through the fiberglass deck. I'd like to install in my Bomar hatch like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFhYX7XS5c8

My questions are:

1) one ad said you buy one for intake and one for exhaust... has anyone done this? Are the directions reversable for the non-hardwired version? If so, any recommendations on how to place them? I suspect it'll require one forward of the hatch and one installed in the hatch?

2) is the Bomar - now 41 years old - more succeptible to cracking? I looked online and they appear to be $750.00 or so to replace. Would I be better off just placing each immediately toward the stern of the hatch?

3) are there any better options out there for a boat that lives on a mooring? I do have a motor with an alternator and a new battery... would well positioned 12V fans be the better choice? The small a/c hand-held units just don't have enough oomph to cool it down.

Thanks!
keneasley

Re: Marinco 4" solar fan

Post by keneasley »

A couple of years ago I set up a fan to draw air in through the dorade vent.

See my post here:
viewtopic.php?p=218928&hilit=power+dorade#p218928

It did work well and moved a significant amount of air.
And the solar panel mostly kept up with the battery draw from the fan.
Although sometimes I would leave the fan off for a day or two to recharge the battery.

Since then I have removed the fan set up and the dorade box, and I sealed up the opening. I'll post a picture in a few days.
On my boat the old dorade box was cracked (see pictures in my former post) and leaking so the air drawn in
was fouled by the moldy old dorade box. The boat smells better now.
We'll see how it goes without a dorade this season.

As for flow-through ventilation - I still have a fairly large vent in one of the drop-boards.
This completely keeps out any rain and provides some constant ventilation.
If you have a dorade and/or a Marinco vent up front then the drop-board vent would provide good flow-through.

See my post here:
viewtopic.php?p=218068&hilit=azek#p218068

All kinds of debate about what works best to ventilate a boat. Some would say it's better not to be pulling air in during the day when the air is very humid but good to do at night. Others would say it's better to have constant air flow. My boat is now well sealed against leaks from above or below and so the interior and bilge are dry. I'll be trying more minimal ventilation this season.
I do get out to the boat several times each week so it is seldom sealed up for long.

Ken
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut