Old Growth Teak

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

John Nebilak

Old Growth Teak

Post by John Nebilak »

I am wondering if anyone knows where the teak used in building the Cape Dory boats came from. If it was imported or US and farmed or old growth.
Cheers,
John Nebilak
John
Carl Thunberg

Re: Old Growth Teak

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I'm guessing no one on this Board really knows the answer to this question given that most of our boats are 40 years old. Can you give some context to the question? Are you looking for a source for new teak to affect a repair? That's a different question and a lot depends on your physical location. Hopefully someone on the west coast can provide a source, assuming for the moment that's the reason behind the post.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Skipd

Post by Skipd »

I would recommend buying a copy of “Born to Build.. Cape Dory”. Besides being a great 1st hand read on the history of Cape Dory, it includes lots of detail on their production materials and processes. Included are names of key staff in the different departments one of whom must know where their teak was sourced. It might be a good starting point.

Thanks
John Nebilak

Post by John Nebilak »

Thanks for the responses.
John
John
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

What's the purpose of the question? I used what is often called plantation teak for special project. Rapid growth with widely spaced rings. Not very dense. Smells only faintly of teak. I would not use it on a boat and have no desire to use it again. You're going to be disappointed with its performance. I'd use iroko or ipe, if rot resistance is essential, or a number of other more sustainable woods before I used plantation teak. Our boats are mostly 40-50 years old. The teak I have removed from my boat during our extensive rebuild and repurposed for other projects was almost certainly what is categorized as Burmese teak. Probably maybe even certainly old growth.

All the teak I have bought new when I rebuilt the dorade boxes, winch bases, dinghy chocks, and other small projects is Burmese teak.

So what's the purpose of the question?
Last edited by John Stone on Jun 12th, '24, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.
John Nebilak

Post by John Nebilak »

John,

Just curious.

Thanks,
John Nebilak
John