CD 45 and a 28 Spotted in Oriental Nc

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

CD 45 and a 28 Spotted in Oriental Nc

Post by John Stone »

Was in the sailing community or Oriental NC last week. Spotted two CDs. One is a CD 45. I understand only three were made.

The other is a 28 and though I did not meet the owner I was told his name is Josh and he is headed up to Kingston NY from the Bahamas. Tough capable boat but she is definitely small. Got to be hearty and determined to voyage on a 28. Sam Holmes and Fred (Fenix Rises) have made remarkable voyages in CD 28s. Fred circumnavigated on Fenix maybe 10-15 years ago.
Attachments
IMG_3976.jpeg
IMG_3972.jpeg
Jim Walsh

Re: CD 45 and a 28 Spotted in Oriental Nc

Post by Jim Walsh »

I met Sam Holmes in Bermuda back in 2021 when he was first starting his adventures. I gave him a lift out to “Pickled Herring” after he had cleared Customs. He had his Customs clearance documents and a large pizza so he didn’t have to cook for the first couple days as he suffers from seasickness temporarily.
I also encountered a CD45 and the original owners in Bermuda several years ago. I’d have to check my old logbooks for the vessels name but it did have a black hull like the one in your photo. They had cruised extensively for several years. The CD45 is a big boat.
Orion is over Sam’s left shoulder and Pickled Herring can also be seen in the distance.
Orion is over Sam’s left shoulder and Pickled Herring can also be seen in the distance.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time