CD 36 for the Golden Globe Race?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oceans9090

CD 36 for the Golden Globe Race?

Post by Oceans9090 »

I'm giving some consideration to the GGR 2026 race and the CD 36 is on the list of acceptable boats that can enter.

A quick look at sailboat data online, it compares favourably to some of my other considered vessels( Tradewind 35, Endurance 35).

The CD comes in lighter than similar sized vessels and has a decent waterline length.

Does anyone have any thoughts to share on the CD 36 and how it compares to other long keel vessels of similar size?

Thanks!
gonesail

Re: CD 36 for the Golden Globe Race?

Post by gonesail »

for a very serious journey i would consider the cape george 36 as well.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: CD 36 for the Golden Globe Race?

Post by John Stone »

I have avoided answering this question as I have responded to past inquiries re the CD 36 for the GG. The short answer is I would put my boat up against any other qualified boat. But my boat has been heavily modified. But thinking about it some more I'd still put the CD 36 up as a good strong competitor provided she is in excellent condition, which any boat entered in the race must be, and she is well sailed. I can't say much about the other boats since I don't have much first hand experience with them.

If you want to know more about the boat you can visit my website where I documented a six year gut job rebuild.
http://www.farreachvoyages.com/

Re the Cape a George...it is a fine boat. Fast and weatherly. On paper it may very possibly be the fastest of the qualified boats. The problem with the CG is only the hull is fiberglass. The deck and house are wood. Which is fine if it's in good shape. Good luck with finding one with the wood in really good shape.

Anyway, if you want to know more about the 36 PM me and we can make arrangements to discuss on the phone.