Tablet for backup navigation.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Walter Hobbs

Tablet for backup navigation.

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Considering a tablet to install something like Savy Navy. I'm not familiar with tablets, and wonder if any of you have any recommendations. Does one have to be in WiFi range for them to be useful?
My Raymarine chart plotter is 20 years old and I also carry paper charts, but this new stuff seems interesting. I gave my sextant away years ago and would have to learn to use it anyway.
Thoughts, comments?
Thanks
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Jim Walsh

Re: Tablet for backup navigation.

Post by Jim Walsh »

Never heard of Savy Navy (until now) but I can relate what I have as back-up to my Garmin MFD. I have Navionics which allows you to download charts for the waters you frequent. This is loaded onto my iPad which is GPS capable. Since the iPad does not require a WiFi signal to know where it is all I need do is open the Navioncs app and I now have a fully functional navigational instrument.
Since my MFD is mounted in a pod on my steering pedestal I find the tablet very convenient when I am below decks and I’m updating my paper charts with my current position, and when filling out my logbook with my current speed, course, distance to next waypoint, etc.
As far as an actual tablet recommendation I would bet all the major brands are quite dependable but my experience is limited to the Apple iPads which have never given me anything but stellar service. I used to encapsulate my iPad in a Life Proof waterproof case but it was heavy and I just have no need to take it topside in inclement weather.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

While I still use charts and a sextant I do carry an iPad mini (a smaller version of the iPad tablet) with iNAVX charting software. US charts are free to download. I can't speak to android tablets but I am sure others will.

There are two kinds of iPad tablets. A cell capable and a WiFi only. If you get the WiFi only you'll save maybe $100 but you'll need an external GPS antenna for it to show your position on the charts. I used a Bad Elf dongle antenna on my first WiFi only iPad. It worked fine most of the time. I upgraded to a 5h Generation IPad mini that is cell capable. But I do not have a cell plan for it. However the cell capable iPad comes with a very effective internal gps chip/antenna same as an iPhone. You do not need a cell plan for the cell capable iPad for the gps to work. I downloaded a ton of free US charts to it and the GPS chip works great.

I use iNavX app which integrates the charts and gps. You can also download iNavX charts as well but you pay for those. With the iNavX app you get position, speed over ground, way point designation, route planning, distance to way point, cross track error, etc etc. It really is an amazing system.

You can use all these features on your phone if you don't want to purchase a tablet, but it's just to small for my tastes.

Happy to chat with you on the phone Walter if you want more info on the details.

John
keneasley

Post by keneasley »

I use an Apple iPad tablet, a bluetooth-connected GPS receiver and an app called "iSailGPS"

The iSailGPS app allows one to download unlimited free navigation charts and store them on the tablet.
These are the same as the old paper charts. It is a great app and cost just $15.
It allows one to zoom in on a chart and fully magnify it on the screen (zoom in/zoom out). No cell or WiFi signal is needed.
I just bought a new iPad 9th generation for $250. It is WiFi only and gets GPS info from the separate receiver.

The Bluetooth connected GPS receiver is a GNS 1000 which I leave in the cabin out of the weather, and it works very well from there.
Similar models are available from Garmin for around $100. So no GPS antenna is needed and no extra wires, etc.

I mounted the iPad to a swingarm and can see it from the cockpit or inside the cabin.

The thing I like most is being able to see my location and plot a course on an interface that uses the old familiar paper charts with no need to pull out eyeglasses or a magnifying glass to read the chart.
IMG_4227.JPG
IMG_4223.JPG
IMG_1647.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Easley
Intrepid 9 Meter - Felicity
Southport Harbor, Connecticut