Mariposa and Far Reach

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Mariposa and Far Reach

Post by John Stone »

While preparing the Far Reach, under her rolled up cover, for her spring launch Mariposa, another CD 36, was brought into the yard via travel lift. I don't know the owner or why she is in the yard but I was told she'll only be in for a short time. I've always admired the dark blue topside paint.

It's interesting to see the two boats side by side and the many differences yet still so many similarities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Mariposa and Far Reach

Post by John Stone »

Another photo of Mariposa.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Maybe to take care of the "ouch" on the portside ?

That's the thing about dark topsides, every little mishap shows ...
(ask me how I know)
Fred Mueller
Jerezana
CD 27 Narragansett Bay
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

fmueller wrote: Mar 15th, '24, 16:30 Maybe to take care of the "ouch" on the portside ?

That's the thing about dark topsides, every little mishap shows ...
(ask me how I know)
I don't think that's a big mar in the finish. I think it's something reflecting off the paint. There is a scratch over there but it's pretty small.
Mbigos

Post by Mbigos »

John, I think this is Mariposa that used to be moored in Camden, Maine. A long-time acquaintance of mine, the late Leonard Lookner, owned her, and had her repowered with a ~40hp Yanmar and repainted. She was a first generation 36 if I remember correctly. I sailed with him one day when I was looking to buy a 36, confirmed the 36 was what I wanted, and later that season bought #150 and have been very happy with her ever since.

Attached is a photo of Lookner driving Mariposa into the Fox Island Thorofare, Penobscot Bay, ME, one of the places you will sail Far Reach someday soon.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

After an extensive, and dangerous, search…I believe I have finally located the elusive Maltese Falcon.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Mbigos, I remember seeing a photo of her in a sailing rag around 2012. Could have been sail magazine. I looked very closely at her end boom sheeting as that is what I was interested in at the time. I PMed the owner via the board index. Never heard back. One of the things I noticed is she has a long boom. About 14-18" longer than stock so the mainsheet angle from the end of the boom to the aft cockpit traveler could work. I don't think the boom can hit the back stay during a crash gybe but it would be close and was on my mind so shied away from that modification. She is a lovely boat. They must have hired out for detailing because there is a boatyard girl working hard on her for days. Completely stripped and sanding all the bright work. Washing her etc. have not seen the owners.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Yesterday a Brazilian female detailer buffed the topside and cabin top of Mariposa. Wow. The boat looks fabulous. She spent a couple days before that stripping all the old varnish with a heat gun and then lightly sanding it. The teak looks new. The exterior of the boat looks transformed.
IMG_3875.jpeg
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

I met the owner of Mariposa this afternoon. Very knowledgeable and personable. Retired physician. Loves the boat. Has had her about 5-6 years. Just the kind of sailor you want to look after and take care of these great boats. The boat looks fabulous.

I invited him to join the CDSOA and the forum.
Mbigos

Post by Mbigos »

Very cool. What a great community that these boats and this association bring together.