Recommended Book On Sail Repair?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Recommended Book On Sail Repair?

Post by John Stone »

Can anyone recommend a book they like about sail repair? I’d like to know more about basic sail repair especially if I get a tear or have some sail related problem offshore.

The Sailmakers Apprentice by Emiliano Marino is linked on Practical Sailor but I don’t know anything about it. Anyone familiar with it or any other book they think useful?

Thanks.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Recommended Book On Sail Repair?

Post by tjr818 »

It is a great book. I have never had to do anything but some very minor repairs, but this book is a wealth of knowledge, it enabled me to confidently repair a mainsail and to modify another. I am sure there are other books out there. Sailrite might also be of some help.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

While attending the Newport International Sailboat Show back in 1976 I met Frank Rosenow, the author of “The Ditty Bag Book” . This little book is an introduction to all the implements and techniques required for sail repair (at that time, with the materials then in use) while constructing your own ditty bag, which was a method to impart the basics to sailmaking apprentices while providing them with this necessary end product.
1792CADF-EA92-4A1C-B90A-D921D3CF82E6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Tim and Jim
Always reliable to respond. Thanks. I'll look into both of them. My knowledge is weak in the area of sail repair.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Hey John,

I like Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual. There is a section on sail repair and maintenance. Anything by Don Casey generally is written for the average bloke who can pound a nail and screw in a screw and it tends to be very practical and thus to me, particularly useful. Other than that I would search among Sailrite's videos to see if they have a title dealing with a specific repair issue you are facing. I've built a couple sails from their kits and they create excellent instructions and manuals. I found this consistent when sewing up my spinnaker launch bag last year just through searching through their videos for the bits I was doing, including sewing a specific zipper and certain types of seams.
Paul
CDSOA Member
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Thanks all for the suggestions. I am focused on at sea repairs. Practical sailor has some info and perhaps along with the Sailmakers Apprentice it will be enough. I'll take a look at Casey's book though. I need to improve my knowledge and skill in this area.

I am still interested in any additional recommendations.

Thanks again.
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I've had great luck with dacron sail repair tape, a speedy stitcher, waxed thread, and dyneema webbing. I can't think of what else I'd need for repairs at sea. Maybe a few replacement sail track slides.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

fritz3000g wrote: Mar 7th, '24, 20:55 I've had great luck with dacron sail repair tape, a speedy stitcher, waxed thread, and dyneema webbing. I can't think of what else I'd need for repairs at sea. Maybe a few replacement sail track slides.
I have that stuff though I have been unimpressed with the speedy stitcher. I'm looking for a book that addresses the art of sail repair. Got any recommendations?
fritz3000g

Post by fritz3000g »

I'm looking for a book that addresses the art of sail repair. Got any recommendations?
Wish I did, sorry.

I don't like the speedy stitcher's feed mechanism, but I like that I don't need to use a thimble or leather glove with it and I can pull it out easily.