Spartan Seacock Backing Plate Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jaeger28

Spartan Seacock Backing Plate Replacement

Post by jaeger28 »

My Spartan seacocks need some help. The wooden backing plates to both cockpit drains, the head intake, and the head discharge are rotten.

I'm pulling Jaeger out of the water soon to address these problems. My plan is to replace the wood backing plate with 1/2 G10 fiberglass board.
I plan on following this guide (https://marinehowto.com/replacing-thru- ... -seacocks/) for installing the new backing plates.
I'm assuming that I am going to have to replace the bolts for the seacock as they look pretty corroded probably won't come loose easily.

They are also frozen. I am going to see if I can free them and then follow this guide to service them (https://marinehowto.com/servicing-taper ... -seacocks/)

Just looking to see if anyone has experience or any advice for doing this job. I'm really hoping that I can save the Spartan seacocks but I'm wondering if I should plan on replacing them with Groco bronze flanged seacocks.
seacock.PNG
seacock2.PNG
Corey (CD 28 named Jaeger)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Spartan Seacock Backing Plate Replacement

Post by jbenagh »

Take a look at this thread viewtopic.php?t=33755&start=15
Note that I used way too thick G10. John Stone points out that 1/4in would be fine.
Let me know if you have other questions.
Jeff
jaeger28

Post by jaeger28 »

Thank you Jeff. That thread is really helpful and just what I was looking for.
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

After breaking the original while attempting to service it, I initially wanted to replace one of mine with another Spartan. Unfortunately they were back ordered with no time frame on replacement. I followed the same guide that you posted and I like the Groco. Another of my seacocks has seized up and I will be replacing with Groco this year. They are easy to install and they are a lot less expensive. I had trouble removing the spartan and ended up cutting off the bolts with a dremel. The premade backing plates are great. Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Dawson
CD22