Advice for new owner of a Cape Dory 22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Megunticook

Re: Advice for new owner of a Cape Dory 22

Post by Megunticook »

I own a TySenior, very similar hull. Boat came with a 4hp Yamaha and does just fine here on Penobscot Bay.

You should take a careful look at this motor: https://tbnation.net/collections/epropu ... or-3-0-6-0. No personal experience but I think it would be a great option for either of our boats.
CapeDory22

Post by CapeDory22 »

@Megunticook -

Many thanks for the link. I agree that it's exactly what I was after when I went into this fall looking for a motor... the only problem being cost. The motor, at $2999.99 doesn't include the battery. And even though they're offering $500.00 off, it still totals $7,000.00 without a remote throttle.

I've decided to go the route of the Tohatsu 6 Sail Pro and will report results in late Spring.

Happy New Year, all, and thanks for the tips, leads, and advice!
Peter Young
Location: Typhoon Weekender, Indefatigable, Burlington VT (Hull #203)

Post by Peter Young »

Glad to know of another Cape Dory sailor on Lake Champlain. We sail our '71 Ty out of Burlington.

We use a 2HP Honda and don't presume it will be enough if the waves really kick up, but we don't usually get far out in the broad lake either as we also are very mindful of that long fetch. Will be curious to hear what you learn about power this spring, and about any swim ladder/MOB solutions you run across.

Stay warm.
Lhmccurdy

Post by Lhmccurdy »

Hello, and congrats on the 22! A partner and I purchased a CD30 masthead cutter last November on Lake Champlain. It was in the water at Shelburne yard and now there on the hard. I have limited sailing experience but just couldn’t pass it up (or put it off any longer)
What side of the lake are you on?
CapeDory22

Post by CapeDory22 »

Congrats on the 30! Might she be named "Free Bird?" I have a nice pic of one taken at the Shipyard just last summer.

My 22 will be in Converse Bay, just a little south of you, along with a Ty Sr and at least two Ty Weekenders - assuming they return this season.
gonesail

Post by gonesail »

i visited Lake Champlain once when in Vermont .. south hero it was .. many years ago. what a nice place but Florida is my home. happy sailing.
sampson57

Post by sampson57 »

I have a 5 HP Tohatsu Sailpro propane motor that I use on my CD 22. It can be a little hard to start when stone cold, otherwise runs fine. Plenty of power for the CD 22. I keep a composite propane tank in the lazarette, as it won't fit in the starboard fuel locker. I like the propane because I believe it is safer than gas, has fewer emissions, and has no carburetor to get gummed up. I would love to go electric, but the portable ones aren't powerful enough, and the 6 hp pods are prohibitively expensive. I hate the look of hanging an outboard off a stern bracket, but life is a compromise.