The Mayflower undergoing maintenance

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jim Walsh

The Mayflower undergoing maintenance

Post by Jim Walsh »

The shipyard at Mystic Seaport is always a busy place. They have many boats in their own collections to maintain and they also do contractual work for other maritime institutions. I spotted this a couple days ago, it was cloudy, breezy, and in the 30’s. The caulking was trying to escape…
IMG_9979.jpeg
IMG_9979.jpeg (3.25 MiB) Viewed 962 times
IMG_9980.jpeg
IMG_9980.jpeg (1.61 MiB) Viewed 962 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: The Mayflower undergoing maintenance

Post by John Stone »

That's pretty cool. Can you imagine a TRANSLANT in a vessel like the Mayflower? It would be interesting to send just the day out sailing on her to see what it's like. I wonder what her motion is like (look at that height!). It must be horrible in a cross sea.

Those were certainly some tough sailors.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

John Stone wrote: Jan 23rd, '24, 08:10 That's pretty cool. Can you imagine a TRANSLANT in a vessel like the Mayflower? It would be interesting to send just the day out sailing on her to see what it's like. I wonder what her motion is like (look at that height!). It must be horrible in a cross sea.

Those were certainly some tough sailors.
I took these pictures of her back in July of 2021 when she was in L.I. Sound off of New London. There is a tug on her port side and the RIB kept circling her. She had undergone a major restoration at the shipyard in Mystic Seaport.
Some amazing voyages were made by those vessels. Truly the era of wooden ships and iron men.
The voyage circumnavigating the word in the Golden Hind by Sir Francis Drake back in 1577 is that which impresses me the most.

Just tap on the photos to expand them.
IMG_6231.jpeg
IMG_6233.jpeg
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
fmueller

Post by fmueller »

Thanks for posting Jim ... so cool !