CD22 New Sails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

LSD87

CD22 New Sails

Post by LSD87 »

Getting new sails for our CD22. Going with a local, Tomelia Sails. I currently have a 135 furled Genoa and one reef in the main. I day sail on the Hudson river. I’ll likely go with 2 reefs for the main. It will also be loose footed, as its not now. I’m considering going to 110 on the Genoa since it often gets quite windy quickly and I reduce the head sail with the furler.
I've been sailing for a little over 2 years and this is our first boat. I expect to speak with the loft with week.
I would appreciate some comments or suggestions.
Steve Dawson
CD22
LSD87

Re: CD22 New Sails

Post by LSD87 »

Meeting with my sail maker Saturday. My sailing instructor told me the boats is balanced best according to the original sail plan, in this case a 100%. m leaning towards that and hooking up the 135 if conditions warrant it. Others have suggested a 120.
Steve Dawson
CD22
CapeDory22

Post by CapeDory22 »

Steve -

If you'd be comfortable posting, I'd love to know the price they quote. I bought my 22 at the very end of last season and launched it for one sail in September... having just bought a new 4-stroke, I don't have the budget right now to invest in new sails without having at least a full season under my belt with the ones I have. They're not 'tired,' but they're also not 'crispy.'
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

The quote I got for the main with 1 reef and 5.5 oz Dacron; cross cut panel layout, 1 full baton, 3 partial, cd22 insignia, Cunningham, sail bag, ties, headboard, leech line was about 1600. 135 roller furlered genoa, u. Sail cover, luff flanker, leech line, webbing at head and tack, luff tape, sail bag…and more…1500
Steve Dawson
CD22
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

What engine did you get?
Steve Dawson
CD22
CapeDory22

Post by CapeDory22 »

I went with the Tohatsu Sail Pro. Luckily, the dealer is sympathetic to my concern about the ballast... and will credit the price of the motor toward a 9.9hp Suzuki if it's insufficient. The broad lake of Champlain can get rough. Those prices for sails are actually not terrible, wouldn't you agree?
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

Agreed…I think you get what you pay for in most cases. I will also need advise and repairs and it’s good to deal local with a family business. I’m dropping off my old sails tomorrow. Good luck with the Tohatsu. Sounds like the dealer is treating you well.
Steve Dawson
CD22
LSD87

Post by LSD87 »

Upon the advise of my sailing instructor and the sail maker I got a 100% jig and a new main sail. I have the original Hank on head sail which the sail maker says is helpful. I still can use the 135 if I want to. Hard to believe the original sails from 1982 are still in decent shape!
Steve Dawson
CD22