EPIRB replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Walsh

EPIRB replacement

Post by Jim Walsh »

I just replaced my existing EPIRB with a new one. My 10 year old EPIRB was due for a battery replacement and rather than having to ship it back to the manufacturer (ACR) to have the battery replaced I reasoned it was best to replace the unit and benefit from the latest technological advances. The new unit has a USER REPLACEABLE battery, which saves the owner some cash. There are other features available, according to which model you choose. I prefer a class 2, which I deploy, as opposed to a class 1 which self deploys. My unit has what is described as “Return Link Service” which sends a confirmation signal back to the unit so you know your signal has been received.
An EPIRB is no different from a life raft, you hope you never have to deploy them.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: EPIRB replacement

Post by John Stone »

Hi Jim
Copy all.

I chose a McMurdo Fast Find just because I can replace the battery myself which I have done once. It was also not as expensive as others. It's small so I can take it with me if I need to. I keep it in my ditch bag. Certainly there are advantages to having a larger one like the ACR if you want to hang it on the bulkhead.

What did you choose and other than battery replacement what influenced your decision?

John
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I replaced my ACR with a new ACR GlobalFix V6 category 2 (how’s that for a long winded product name) which is bracket mounted. I keep it just inside the companionway mounted to an instrument cover. It’s immediately accessible and adjacent to a shelf which holds my hand held VHF’s.
My floating ditch bag has all the usual documents and survival gear, plus it has a dedicated pocket made to hold this unit securely. In emergency circumstances I have to manually deploy my life raft which I can easily do with my ditch bag thrown over my shoulder. I also have an InReach Explorer+ so I can send out an SOS via an independent method. I’m a firm believer in the “belt and suspenders” philosophy when it comes to a situation where it becomes necessary to “step up” into a life raft.

This is a picture of my EPIRB mounting position.
IMG_4425.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

The ACR is highly regarded. Can't go wrong there. It's the gold standard for voyaging EPRIBs.

The McMurdo is much smaller. Not as capable as the ACR. I think the transmit life is 48 hours. Battery life five years. Battery replacement cost $210. Waterproof to 30'. It's kind of big though compared to the current PLBs but smaller than the ACR. I wanted something I could put around my neck and take with me in the dinghy if I ever had to abandon ship. I hope that never happens.

I also carry the Garmin InReach mini that has a SOS satellite link as well as the text capability. Very similar to the explorer but smaller and without the map display. We used the InReach during the last voyage to the VI and its text capability was flawless. We have also taken it with us on two overland Jeep camping trips out west and it was rock solid texting to the kids from the deserts and Mts of NM and SW Colorado.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Some of the safety equipment aboard Electra can be seen in this photo, including the ACR Epirb.
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay